Monday, August 24, 2015

One Bloomin' Season - Cooler days are a comin'

I looked at the calendar and realized that the summer was nearly gone and I had not had a family barbecue.  Next Sunday for sure.  But that means that the colors that graced the yard for the past several weeks will be mostly gone.  A few daylilies are still blooming and some are re-blooming, but the show is nearly over.  Can fall be so close already?

Welcome to the Garden:
This lovely Midnight Marvel hibiscus will get transplanted to the front yard as soon as it is done blooming.  Since it's not a favorite of deer, it will switch places with a tall red daylily.  Some of those black-eyed Susans will also find a front yard spot.

Somehow I neglected to take a photo of the red helenium when they were blooming, so here is an old photo from the files.  The yellow ones are current.

I started these from seeds back in the mid-70's and like them because they bloom now when not much else is.
The Quick Fire hydrangea are really changing color nicely this year.  The cool nights are helping.

And the houttuynia also is really pretty, besides being deer and rabbit resistant.

Last week I over-looked my garlic chives, though they pop up all over so not sure how I missed them.  I am trying to keep them in one spot, so dead-heading will be a MUST.

Last, but by no means least, are a couple of hostas.  (I actually bought two more varieties this past week.)  First, H. 'Marilyn Monroe' which I added this year is blooming.  I practically had to lie on the ground to take the picture.

These H. plantaginea 'Fragrant' are so full of blooms I just had to post this picture.

And while it did not bloom this year, I wanted to post this photo of H. 'Empress Wu'.  It is growing and doing really well.  Compare the leaf size to the plant above.  No trick photography involved, H. 'Empress Wu' supposedly will be five feet tall someday.

Sedums should be blooming next week.  Y'all come back now.

2 comments:

  1. You have just a striking garden. The one hosta with all the flowers on it-those flowers almost look like they have a bluish tint to them. It must be nice to sit in the back with a book and a glass of wine (when it is not so hot out)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope someday to have nothing to do but sit. As if lol.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.