Monday, July 27, 2015

One Bloomin' Season - the early bird gets the shade

With so much happening this week in the garden, I am concentrating on the daylilies and hostas.  I'll get to all the other flowers that are blooming next week.  Welcome to my garden.
This photo was taken at 7:00 in the morning and as the beds come into the sun it is just getting too hot to work on clean-up.  The last of the daylilies started blooming this week.  So, in no particular order, here they are.
Lavender Stardust
Lime Frost
Mighty Mogul
Sears Tower - all 4.5 feet of her, or him, which is why you see nothing but flowers and fence.

And here is a wonderful example of why it is so hard to identify daylilies that get moved and do not get labelled.  Here is Wilson Spider at 7:00 am: 
then at 2:00 pm:
and finally at 6:00 pm:

This is the only spider form I own, but with the standard daylily, the color changes are extremely difficult to identify, especially for the reds.

Hostas are still blooming too.  Here is H. 'Francee':

H. 'Loyalist', which is maintaining a nice white leaf color.

H. 'Patriot', which is the first hosta I ever shelled out real bucks for.  I paid $30 for one small plant.  I now have three mature plants and two small divisions.  It is actually a 'sport' of H. 'Francee' and was the 1997 Hosta of the Year.  Certainly one of my favorite hostas.

H. 'Sum and Substance' on the left with H. 'Pineapple Upsidedown Cake' on right.

And this is a mystery hosta.  I have several of these and have absolutely no idea what they are or where they came from.  I'll have to wait a few years until they mature to make any kind of educated guess.

Lastly, while I have shown individual daylilies for the most part, I have now taken some photos of the entire plant, or a good portion of it, so you can see the great blossoms and color.
Arriba
Bright Memories
Buttered Popcorn
Cartwheels, before the deer wandered through the front yard around noon and had lunch.

Creepy Crawler
Hyperion,  with red Chicago Rosy in background
Love that Pink
Oriental Ruby
Queen Regent with Scarlock behind
South Seas
Spanish Beauty with Arriba in upper corner
Sunset Sonata
Wedding Band

Hope you have enjoyed the daylilies.  I'll be sad when all the blooms are gone as they bring so much beauty to the yard.

9 comments:

  1. I am super jealous of your garden! I don't have a nice big area like that to create something as beautiful as you have. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to think I actually paid to have sod laid when I moved in. And now it is all gone.

      Delete
  2. You should be so proud of yourself for all the work and care that went into your garden. The Lilies are so beautiful in all their spendour. I love the colours-the reds and those pinks which are different in tone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love the color. I could never have just a 'green garden' as some folks do even though I love my hostas.

      Delete
  3. I love the day lilies in particular, they are so colourful. I am learning to recognise them in gardens locally. As well as the hostas. Not that I could put names to any of the day lilies I see but they really are so very colourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many daylilies and so many look the same I do not even know why I worry about what their names are. Professional landscapers tend to stick to a few re-blooming varieties, so if it is a short yellow it is most likely Stella de Oro.

      Delete
  4. Daylillies are not something I have grown but after seeing the way they look in your garden. I will be adding them to my own garden. Do you find them easy to propagate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them grow like weeds, especially Green Flutter. I hate to throw anything away so I am constantly looking for new spots to plant or folks to take some. Every few years if blooms are not prolific they need to be divided. Sun and water are their only requirements.

      Delete
  5. Oh yes, I enjoyed. I enjoyed the names almost as much as I enjoyed your garden. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.