Monday, May 25, 2015

One Bloomin' Season - week two

I had hoped some of the irises might have opened, but it looks like we have to wait until next week.  Lots of green in the yard, but the real color show is a good month away.  More columbine opened this week:


 This is the year I let them go to seed.  I do it every few years and increase my supply.  Free.
 That's a bleeding heart in the center of the columbine.  And below is a picture of the north garden as you enter from the front gate.  I'll try to take a picture each week as the season progresses.
Back here the geum are blooming and not much else, for now.
The warm weather we had early followed by the cold and frost have done a number on lots of buds on trees and shrubs.   I just hope everything survives.

8 comments:

  1. The frost dd a number on the asparagus here too. Love the orange of the geum. Never even heard of those before. Flowers are so lovely. Happy Memorial Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geum certainly isn't something I ever heard about growing up. Not sure how I cam across it. I've tried to grow the red variety but it always dies.

      Delete
  2. These flowers are so pretty and it is wonderful that some grew from the seeds you left. Keep fingers crossed that the frost did no harm. My iris is out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've have buds with color showing on the irises all week. They'll probably open just before the thunderstorms come.

      Delete
  3. Making my way around on the A to Z Road trip! Stopping by to say hello and I hope to see you again next year, if not sooner!

    Mary
    www.JingleJangleJungle.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our columbines are just starting to bloom. We have so many volunteers, this year we plan to pull some of them. Ours are mostly purple or red. I've never tried geums. So happy spring is here for both of us - finally! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rethinking letting them go to seed this year. Even though I pulled most of the seed pods last year, I was just out there and there are tons of new seedlings. I also found a seedling of astilbe, a first for me. Growing far away from any established plants. Irises opened yesterday.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.