Monday, March 9, 2015

A Visual Treat for Monday

Several years ago I had the great pleasure of touring the former Detroit home of Charles Lang Freer.  Freer had built the home and then amassed the largest collection of works by James McNeill Whistler, including the import of the Peacock Room from London for installation in the home.

Later that same year, I made a special visit to Washington, D.C. to tour the Freer Gallery at the Smithsonian.  Intrigued with Whistler, I then made a trip to New York City to see his art works at the Frick.

Last week I received my Alumni magazine from Wayne State University with a wonderful article on the Detroit home, the Peacock Room, a new book and a PBS video.

I am giving you the link to the website so that you may view the home in a virtual tour and enjoy the collection.

Check out the links and enjoy.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful collection and the room was neat to see and loved that ceiling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know much about Whistler. Certainly never heard of the Peacock Room before. Quite something. Made me think of the amber room in Russia, did you get to see that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see the Amber Room. Unfortunately, they do not allow photos.

      Delete
    2. I have a set of postcards some friends brought back for me several years ago. I read about it first in a thriller. Fascinating place.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.