Sunday, August 12, 2012

Olympic Wind-down

It is 9:45 am and in just a few minutes I will sit down and watch the Olympics.  The men's basketball team will play for the Gold Medal.  At four I will sit at my computer and watch the closing ceremonies streamed live by NBC.  This is necessitated by an airport run I need to make at seven this evening.

I now know why I have not watched the last several Olympics.  Who has the time?  Besides, now that I have the time, I have not gotten much else done. 

I missed some moments I wish I had seen.  I did not get to see all of the gymnastic medal performances.  But, I did get to see Michael Phelps win his medals.  I saw the 10 meter high dive and rhythmic gymnastic finals.

The last few days I have been watching all the track and field events.  In the late 1960's and early 70's, I would go to see the NCAA Indoor Track and Field events at Cobo Arena in Detroit.  I was fortunate enough to see many great athletes of that time.  Many of these college athletes were on the 1968 Olympic team.

I think that track is my favorite sport.  I love to run, but I have never been able to compensate for the stress-induced asthma I have.  In high school, I competed in the high jump and long jump.

But in the early 60's, we 'girls' competed amongst ourselves.  We played only half-court basketball.  We played a game called 'speed-a-way' (I can't believe I actually found info about this online) instead of soccer.  We were just girls, of course.  I don't remember competing against another school until my senior year.

I did win my athletic letter in high school.  Of course, it was a smaller size than the men won.  What else?  We were also told we could not get jackets to put our letters on, only sweaters.  Do you believe this?  No wonder I became a rebel.

So, I am watching the game on TV as I sit here.  I have some errands to run, so I may have to actually function in 'normal' mode at some point.  But it has been an exciting two weeks.  I went to my yoga classes, but nothing has been accomplished around the house and yard.  It's back to my routine tomorrow. 

My thanks to all the athletes and the City of London for a wonderful stay-at-home summer vacation from routine.


My Girl's Athletic Association letter stuck on the cover of my high school scrapbook.  The two pins are for softball (center field) and speed-a-way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.