Thursday, May 31, 2012

I Hosta make a Decision

I've decided that my 'unknown' hosta is most likely H. 'Little Jack Frost'.  I remembered that it was called 'little something'.  I read through all the hostas with 'little' in their name in Zilis's Hostapedia.  Then, a local grower suggested I go to hostalibrary.org.

There I found a description AND a picture.  Carefully measuring the plant and the leaf, examining the leaf features, and comparing photos, it looks like a good match.  I'm like the CSI of plants with no DNA testing. 

Now I will have to wait and see if the flower has the right color, but it should not flower until August, so a bit of a wait.


I'd like to say I have identified all of them (over 120 plants at last count), but a few remain unidentified.  That being said, I continue on.  You can never have too many hostas, even if you don't know what to call them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.