Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Where's My Car, Dude?

There is an article in this morning's Detroit News about stolen car preferences.  Seems like thieves now prefer American models over their foreign counterparts. 

What I found interesting are the models shown in the chart for national thefts.  Number three in popularity is a 1991 Toyota Camry.  Really?  A twenty year old Toyota?

The article reminds me of my Junior year in college at Wayne State's Medical School (1966).  The old campus was on I-375 near the Lafayette Park area in Detroit.  While I rode the Gratiot bus to classes every day, there were students who drove their cars.  Usually, their 'old' cars.

One of my classmates had an old beat-up Oldsmobile.  In the winter it would have trouble starting and in the summer it had no A/C.  She said it was a piece of junk, but it usually managed to get her to class.

One day, she left he building to go home and the car was gone.  Gone?  Who in the world would steal an old heap when newer, nicer cars were parked on the road?

Seems like these older cars are popular targets.  Maybe they need them for parts.  That seems to be the case on TV shows.  Steal newer cars for resale and steal older ones for dismantling.  Either way the thief makes some money. 

I like the OnStar commercial with the stolen car moving on I-75 at Jefferson in Downtown Detroit.  While my model is not on the top-ten list, the idea the OnStar can find it and me in an emergency is comforting.

Here is the list of the thieves choices, both in Michigan and Nationally:

    Michigan faves
    Tops for thieves in 2010: 1. Dodge Caravan 2. Ford Taurus 3. Dodge Intrepid 4. Dodge Stratus 5. Chevrolet Impala 6. Chevrolet Malibu 7. Pontiac Grand Prix 8. Plymouth Voyager 9. Full size Chevrolet pickup 10. Jeep Cherokee
National picks
The most stolen vehicles:
1. 1994 Honda Accord
2. 1995 Honda Civic
3. 1991 Toyota Camry
4. 1999 full-size Chevrolet pickup
5. 1997 Ford F-150 pickup
6. 2004 Dodge Ram
7. 2000 Dodge Caravan
8. 1994 Acura Integra
9. 2002 Ford Explorer
10. 1999 Ford Taurus

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.