Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My First Car

In 1969 I went to Raynal Brother's Dodge and purchased my first car, a 1969 Dodge Charger.  I had flown home from Europe on July 4 and with my job at the City of Detroit waiting for me, I decided I had enough of riding the bus.  Besides, bus service was so infrequent on the lines I rode, I would not be able to work afternoon shifts and get home from work.

I don't remember the exact cost of the car, but I do know it was under $5,000.  Today, a new Dodge Charger would cost you a little over $25,000.

A neighbor was telling me yesterday that his parent's bought their home in Detroit for $25,000 in 1965.  A realtor told him that they could perhaps get $30,000 for the house in today's market. 

Now here is what I want to understand.  If a house that has been maintained is not worth any more than it was in 1965, why can't I buy a car for $5,000?

A house on the next street just sold for $105,000, about twice what it cost when built in 1972.  So, that being said, I'm willing to go to $10,000 for a new car.  Any sellers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.