Saturday, March 12, 2011

Oops: Cinnamon Scones

I have been known to make errors in the kitchen.  I used to feel bad about it until I saw goof-ups by professionals that were nearly as bad as mine.  Maybe more so.

My biggest 'oops' was a batch of praline biscotti.  Having spent a considerable amount of time preparing the praline, I finally got the cookies in the oven.  Imagine my surprise when I saw the two long logs on the cookie tray merge into a gooey, messy mass.  Seems that instead of one-half cup of butter, I had used one-half pound of butter.  No saving these creatures.  Into the trash can.

I saw a recipe today for some scones.  Specifically, cinnamon oatmeal scones with raisins.  Now, I have nothing against raisins, but I had some cinnamon chips that I figured I would substitute.  I also had some half-and-half I wanted to use up.  With a few adjustments, I figured I would make the scones.

I got as far as mixing all the ingredients together and thought the dough was kinda wet.  I went back and looked at the original recipe, serves me right for doing stuff from memory, and found that I had doubled the amount of liquid.  OOPS.

Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained, I figured I would bake them and see what happens.  Obviously, I had to increase the baking time.  They spread a little too much, but they looked OK.  And then, 15 minutes after I took them out of the oven, I tasted them.  I had two.  Moist.  Not too sweet.  And I do not want to think how many calories and grams of fat must be in each one.  They do have healthy oatmeal.  Here is the recipe:

CINNAMON OATMEAL SCONES

1 1/2 cups rolled oats (4 1/2 ounces)
1 cup half and half
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups King Arthur unbleached all-purpose flour (7 1/2 ounces)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup granulated sugar (2 1/4 ounces)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter , cold, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2/3 cup cinnamon chips
1 tablespoon raw sugar, for sprinkling

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread oats evenly on baking sheet and toast in oven until fragrant and lightly browned, 7 to 9 minutes; cool on wire rack. When oats are cooled, measure out 2 tablespoons and set aside.

2. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees. Line second baking sheet with parchment paper.

3. Whisk half-and-half and egg in large measuring cup until incorporated.  Keep cold until ready to use.

4. Whisk flour, cinnamon, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl until combined. Scatter cold butter evenly over dry ingredients and mix with fingers until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Stir in cooled oats and chips.  If mixture gets warm, place in fridge to chill before baking.

5. Using rubber spatula, fold in cold liquid ingredients until large clumps form. Mix dough by hand in bowl until dough forms cohesive mass.

6. Dust work surface with half of reserved oats and sprinkling of flour, turn dough out onto work surface, and dust top with remaining oats and lightly dust with flour. Gently pat into 7-inch circle about 1 inch thick. Dough will be WET. Using bench scraper or chef’s knife, cut dough into 8 wedges and set on parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle surfaces with 1 tablespoon sugar.

7. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes; cool scones on baking sheet on wire rack 5 minutes, then remove scones to cooling rack and cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.