Sunday, August 1, 2010

"When E. F. Hutton Talks..."

Those of you born before 1970 may remember the marketing slogan of brokerage firm E. F. Hutton:  "When E. F. Hutton talks, people listen."  Well, I am no E.F. Hutton.  Much of the time I think no one is listening.  Sometimes I like to think that they did and that I may have influenced a decision.

As an example, last year in May I was sitting next to a Board Member of the Wayne County Airport Authority.  The subject of airport parking came up and I said that I would no longer park in 'Big Blue' now that they had raised the rates.  It was my preferred parking in Winter since it meant that my car would not be buried in snow when I returned to Detroit.  Now, I'd just save the money and take my chances on the weather.

Imagine my surprise when I saw a sign as I exited the airport on June 20th (around midnight) this year that said the rates were being reduced effective the next day.  I do not know how many people have switched, but if I go away this winter, I will definitely consider parking there.

Sometimes it is gratifying just to know that someone else thinks the way you do too.  Earlier this month I blogged about the candidates who are all trying to be more 'pro-life' than the other guy.  Geez.  It is not an issue I vote on unless the candidates agree on everything else I care about and I think is really important.  So, I was happy today to see both the Detroit News and Free Press address this totally unimportant issue (IMHO) on today's editorial pages. 

So, I'll keep talking and blogging and writing and maybe have a difference.  Or maybe not.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.