Sunday, November 11, 2018

One Hundred Books and Counting

First let me say that I do not normally keep track of how many books I read.  But, now that I use Goodreads to keep track of titles, I also count the books I complete.  I have no idea how many books I have read over my lifetime.  I do know that it is over 1,000 (the titles I can remember are on Goodreads), but not such a big deal considering how old I am (72 as of today).  So, I thought I would mention a few of the good books I read this year.

Thirty-two of the books are in the category of 'English cosy mystery'.  This has become my new favorite genre.  They are a quick read and very pleasant stories.  Think Miss Marple, LOL.

Another twenty-three books were written by Ruth Rendell.  I never heard of this author and only discovered her when I was watching a rerun of 'As Time Goes By' and saw Judi Dench reading one of her books.  I added her name to my TBR list.  This year I finished reading the Inspector Wexford series and also read a few of her stand alone novels.

One of the best books I read this year was one of my Amazon Prime monthly books.  'Hell's Princess: The Mystery of Belle Gunness, Butcher of Men' by Harold Schechter was about a female murderess and someone I had never heard of before.  This woman was evil personified.

Of course, there are books from some of my favorite authors that also were highly rated by me.  I just finished reading Michael Connelly's 'Dark Sacred Night'.  I've read all of Connelly's H. Bosch novels and have enjoyed everyone of them.  This was no exception.

Daniel Silva gave us another great novel in 'The Other Woman'.  And David Baldacci produced not one, but two novels this year which I thoroughly enjoyed:  'The Fallen' and 'End Game'.  I like spy and thriller novels, what can I say?

Surprisingly enough, two James Patterson books were also high on my list.  One was a recent one 'Juror #3'.  Of course, there were a few of his I could not finish, including 'The President is Missing', a 50-page rule failure.  The other five star novel of his was 'All-American Murder', the story of Aaron Hernandez.  I'm not a football fan and knew nothing about this incident until I read the book.  I really enjoyed it.

The number 100 book on my list this year is Maxwell King's biography of Fred Rogers, 'The Good Neighbor'.  Even though my boys grew up watching Mister Rogers' Neighborhood and I had already seen the documentary 'Won't You be My Neighbor?', I learned so much about him reading this very comprehensive biography.  I believe that we force too much rote learning on our young children and do not allow them to just be children.  And Fred Rogers felt the same way.  Here is the trailer for the movie:


Happy Reading!

14 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, Denise! Impressive. My husband read Silva’s newest - he’ll read everything this guy writes. I’d like to read the Fred Rogers biography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read all of Silva's books. I was just thrilled to meet him last year. Did not realize at the time that he was born in Detroit. Thanks for the wishes.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday!! I'm a John Connelly fan too, have read all of his books except the latest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! You listed some authors I'm not familiar with. Going to check them out! So far I've been enjoying downloading books to check out from our local library. Haven't exhausted the titles available that I want to read yet, so that's a good thing!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Denise - congratulations on the birthday ... sure hope you're having a lovely weekend. Lots of books for us to catch up on here - well done - 100 is some going ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, and happy reading! I rarely update my Goodreads account - my reading is kind of scattered all over the place and too much of it is online, nowadays. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I like using Goodreads. I can keep track of library books, kindle books, cloud library, etc.

      Delete
  6. I so loved that documentary... To this day Brandon wears a cardigan to work in the cold weather! LOL In fact, he's working on a sermon appearing as Mr. Rogers. Can't wait to see what he does with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The biography of Fred Rogers sounds great. Have you every read Tony Hillerman or Sara Paretsky? They write detective stories set in Arizona and Chicago, respectively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I read a Tony Hillerman years ago. Maybe even a Sara Paretsky. I forget after awhile. I' ve even started reading a book only to discover I read it many years ago.

      Delete
  8. Happy belated birthday! I have not read the Ruth Rendall books but I know about the shows that are on PBS. That is impressive to read 100 books and I know you are still going strong. I have to check out the evil chick since I am into true crime crap

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.