Sunday, June 17, 2018

June 17, 1969 Vatican City

Today we went to see the Sistine Chapel.  I commented in the diary that there were so many people there and they were making so much noise that it sounded like a zoo.
File:Chapelle sixtine plafond.jpg

We also visited the Vatican Museums.  I love this photo of the spiral staircase.  I really don't remember much about the art there.
Vatican Museums Spiral Staircase 2012
© User:Colin / Wikimedia Commons

It is interesting that I keep seeing photos online and articles about long lines and how to avoid them.  I do not remember any lines back in 1969.

The rest of the day was spent seeing Castel Sant'Angelo, built in the second century.  I remember having a picture that looked just like this, but with fewer people.
Castel Sant'Angelo and angel figure
By Berlinuno [CC BY-SA 4.0], from Wikimedia Commons
Here is a lovely view from the castel.  The picture of the Tiber and the bridges that I posted on the 14th likely was taken from the bridge above.
View over Rome from Castel Sant'Angelo
Trumpkinius at English Wikipedia [CC BY 3.0], from Wikimedia Commons

This is our last day in Rome.  My expenses for the day were $26.22.  A good part of that was for this rosary that I purchased for my father.  When he passed away, my mother gave it back to me.  It is not something I or my sons would ever use so it sits in the safe.  The beads are granite or something similar.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the memories! ♥ I don't remember the lines being too bad in 1990, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I watch recent travel videos I am amazed at the crowds, mostly coming off cruise ships.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.