Sunday, June 12, 2016

Bad Timing

I believe I may have mentioned in some previous posts about my bad timing when it comes to vacations.  Arriving in the Caribbean along with Hurricane Lenny.  Visiting Nova Scotia at the same time as Hurricane Ophelia.  Heading into Berlin just in time for the celebration of Reunification Day.  Need I say more?

Well, yes.  How about this?  Arriving in Amsterdam on the Friday before the feast of Pentecost.  I am not a religious person, so this event would never have crossed my radar.  But as my luck would have it, this is a big deal in the Netherlands.  And not just on Sunday, but on Monday also.

On Sunday this is all I saw of the market hall in Rotterdam.
It is quite a large building.  But on Sunday it was closed.  Monday was no better as I arrived in Maastricht in the morning only to find that nothing was opening before noon.  Alas, all one could do was window shop. (probably just as well)
Thinking that things could only get better, I headed to Bruges, Belgium.  I went for a carriage ride in the evening and saw the City offices.
This was the scene the next day:
Seems that the King and Queen of Belgium were entertaining the King and Queen of Jordan.  Security everywhere, roads and buildings closed and a complete mob scene:
Yes, I am in that crowd trying to see the Queen enter a building.  If you blow up the photo you will see a pink hat and suit.  That's her, I think.
And if you were thinking what else could occur, well, how about arriving in Brussels on the week-end of the Jazz Marathon.  This was the scene a block from the hotel:




And the scene in the Grand Place was no better:
Planning a trip?  Don't ask me to pick a good time to go.  Not my specialty.

15 comments:

  1. You made me smile. Some things (such as hurricanes) are out of your control! Look at the positives............you have had experiences that others haven't!
    My sister recently returned from Japan with the highlight being experiencing an earthquake!

    We seem to be pretty lucky.......... but I didn't think much of the queues at Disneyland on Thanksgiving Day weekend. That has made me aware of checking long weekends and public holidays before travelling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought when I went to Germany that I had planned well. I would arrive in Frankfort after the big auto show and get to Munich after Oktoberfest. Reunification day was not on my radar. It does make for interesting trips when the locals are celebrating. BTW, if there is a good time to visit Disney parks, I am unaware of it. They always seem crowded. I'll skip the earthquake, thank you.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh. You do have the luck:)
    You go some wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its good blog fodder though :) And certainly adventures while traveling that you are not likely to forget :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. My blog is where I take out all my frustrations. That and mowing my lawn, lol.

      Delete
  4. Very true, you are not likely to forget them. Did you see the castle owned by André Rieu in Maastricht?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we did not see it, but I did watch a video of him performing in the city center.

      Delete
  5. Not great luck! I often forget to check out my destination's special events that might coincide with my visit (unless, of course, that's why I'm going) and have been both pleasantly and unpleasantly surprised as a result. There have also been times when I find out that I just missed an event that I would have like to have been there for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have missed events. Timed this trip so I could see the tulip gardens.

      Delete
  6. No, you would make a great suggester of destinations. We would know to pick somewhere else! All kidding aside, you never would have gotten some of these photos otherwise - and, what stories you have to tell. You even got closer to the Queen than many of us will in our lifetimes. Now, use the frustration wisely and pull some weeds. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. Has been a nice day to move some flowers.

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed your photos. Bruges has long been on my "to-see" list. It's a long list and I'm not sure when I'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bruges was on my 'bucket list'. It is quite lovely and very walk-able - minus a few royals, lol.

      Delete
  8. WOW! Loved the photos. Those dresses in the window were lovely. What a wonderful trip that must have been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the dresses. It has been a very long time since I would wear anything like that, plus I now would have no place to wear it if I did own it. Trip was wonderful.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.