Wednesday, October 7, 2015

A Souper Fall

I love fall and not just because of the beautiful colors outside.  For me it is the time to start making soup.  And I did just that on Sunday.

I think that Butternut Squash Soup is my favorite.  Not only does it taste good, but it is so easy to make.  First, you need a good sized butternut squash.  At this time of year I always have some in my pantry.

No soup would start without some onions, celery, and garlic sauteing in olive oil.

And then  the veggies get added:

Some stock gets thrown in the pot and soup is on the way:

Puree the soup with a hand blender, then add some cream and some coconut milk along with the seasonings:

Sit back and enjoy.

Here is the recipe:

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:

1 3-lb butternut squash

1/4 cup olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, minced, about 2 1/2 tsp
2 tsp minced ginger
1 1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1 tsp sweet curry powder
1 Granny Smith apple, diced
1 quart chicken stock (or vegetable stock of desired)
1/4 cup white wine
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup coconut milk
one generous pinch of nutmeg
dash of cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp brown sugar
a few drops of lemon juice
sea salt to taste

Method:

1.  Heat and oven to 400 degrees.  Peel the squash, seed it and cut into one-inch cubes.  Spread onto a cookie sheet and roast until tender. 
2.  Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium high heat and sauté the onions, garlic, and ginger until translucent, about five minutes.  Pince the curry powder, stirring frequently.  (IOW, add it to the pot and heat while stirring until fragrant)
3.  Add the roasted squash, apples, white wine and stock.  Simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes.
4.  Puree the soup with a hand blender until smooth.  Temper the cream and milk and add to the soup.
5.  Season with nutmeg, cayenne, lemon juice, sugar and sea salt to taste.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I smell the onions, celery and garlic sauteing. Now I am so hungry! My favorite way to enjoy butternut squash, by the way (although your soup sounds delicious) is in a Weight Watchers inspired sausage and peppers - instead of potatoes my spouse uses butternut squash, which has no points. And is it ever good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That idea sounds good too. I admit to just eating the squash plain after it roasts. Delicious just on its own.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that sounds yummy! I just might try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ashamed to admit that I ate all of it even though I meant to freeze some. Guess I'll have to make another batch.

      Delete
  3. I am not one for squash but it does look good and I would try this believe it or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Originally I did not think I would like it either, but it is definitely one of my favorites.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.