Thursday, April 24, 2014

U is for the Upper Middle Rhine Valley



The Upper Middle Rhine Valley is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  I have now seen about 40 or so sites out of 981, so still I have a lot of travelling to do.

You can drive along the river and you can cruise along the river.  Either way, the views of the old castles and small towns is quite enjoyable. This was day 11.

A visit to the Niederwald Landscape Park was first on the list.


The Germania Statue, celebrating the German Empire at the end of the Franco-Prussian War.


A view of the Rhine and the valley from the monument:


Castles along the Rhine:  Klopp Castle







Pfalzgrafenstein Castle above, which sits in the middle of the river, served as a toll station, which was how these castle land owners made their money.

Stahleck Castle:







Rheinfels Castle:

The view from Liebenstein Castle in Boppard:

Leibenstein Castle:






We had a delicious lunch of sauerbraten and met a very charming proprietor.













The Sterrenberg castle 'next door':


Farewell to the Rhine Valley.

On my Bucket List:  Ukraine

8 comments:

  1. What a plethora of castles. Didn't realise there was so many in that area. Lovely pix Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were 18 castles in the small stretch of river I covered. Quite interesting.

      Delete
  2. It's so fun to see pictures of places I've been on your blog. I lived close to the Rhine for several years. Gorgeous!

    Elsie
    AJ's wHooligan in the A-Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is where I will want to go on my next European trip and i would want to drive along and look at each castle-so lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great blog. Happy I came blog hopping your way today. Photos wonderful. I have had an arm chair travel experience. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and traveling with me.

      Delete
  5. The Rheinstein Castle is absolutely on my must see list.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.