Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cranberry-Pecan Pancakes

Last Saturday was the monthly get-together of old friends for breakfast.  Oh, that didn't come out right.  Sounds like we are eating 'old friends'.  Well, you know what I mean.  Old bags having breakfast together.

Our meeting place is Ellen's Bakery in Sylvan Lake.  I mentioned them a few months ago when they were filming a movie next door with Eric Roberts.

Not only do I get to see my old friends once a month, but I also run into other folks I know from work or yoga.  It is a very popular place.

I ordered an omelet and had one of their wonderful New York style bagels.  Not those soft things they sell at some bakeries.  (Which reminds me that it has been ages since I made any of my own.)

My friend Shelley ordered cranberry-walnut pancakes.  She insisted that I taste them.  I was hesitant since raw cranberries are usually pretty tart.  Well, they were delicious.

I decided that this can't be that hard to duplicate (unlike rice pudding).  I took out my favorite buttermilk pancake recipe and set at it this morning. 

Oh my.  How good.  Now I know why she only ate half of her order.  These are very filling.

Here is my poor attempt at photography.  I mean, who wants to try to get the best picture when you are dying to see how they taste?  The recipe, adapted from Cook's Illustrated, follows.

 
Cranberry-pecan Buttermilk Pancakes
 
 
1 cup King Arthur all-purpose flour (if using another brand, cut buttermilk to 1 cup)
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup plus 3 tbsp reduced-fat buttermilk
2 tbsp light sour cream
1 large egg
1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 tsp pure orange extract
3/4 cup sliced fresh or frozen cranberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans
 
Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.  In another medium bowl, whisk the egg and add the buttermilk, sour cream, butter and extract.  Whisk until combined.
 
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add in the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined.  Do NOT beat the mixture.  It should be lumpy.  Gently fold in the cranberries and pecans.  Let the batter sit while you prepare the griddle, about 10 minutes.
 
Grill on 350 degree griddle or fry pan.  Makes approximately 8 4-inch pancakes.
 
Enjoy with maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.