Thursday, December 27, 2012

'Gone Girl' Gone for Good

Readers of this blog will know of my 50-page rule, i.e. if I am not into a book by page 50, I quit.  I recently broke the rule and got to page 88 of 'Gone Girl'.  And then I quit.

WTH!  I did not like the guy in the book who repeatedly tells the reader that he is lying to the police.  Then there are the excerpts from the wife's diary and she sounds like a complete whack-job.  Something fishy was going on and I really didn't care to find out what it was.  So, I took it back to the library. 

Now, this is a book that has been on the NY Times best seller list for over three months.  I cannot imagine why until I think of two words: Edgar Sawtelle.  That book was another best-seller and was a complete waste of one week of my life when I read it.  At a book review another woman who also hated it told me of her 50-page rule.  I should have met her sooner.

Everyone has different tastes in reading material.  My suggestion:  If you want to read a really good book about a wife disappearing and a husband accused of murder, then read Harlan Coben's 'Tell No One'. 

As for reading 'Gone Girl', I agree with the many Amazon Kindle readers who wanted their money back.  I am glad I have a local library available so I can save my money for reads that are worth the price.

P.S.  I am busy blogging and putting off the inevitable task of cleaning the four inches of snow off the driveway.  Thank goodness I have no place to go today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.