Friday, May 25, 2012

Who Knew There were so Many Hostas?

There are over 7,400 named Hosta varieties.  Wow.  Who knew there were so many Hostas?  Growing up we grew one old variety, whose name I have yet to identify.

This year my project is to label all the hostas in my garden, including that old one my mom gave to me.  There are over 90 plants in the yard.  Many are the result of division of the 'at least' 25 varieties that I have purchased over the years.  Some have never been labeled or written down, but I know that they are not like the others, so need to be researched.  Maybe a name will 'ring a bell' with me.

To aid me in my search, I have borrowed a book from the Monroe Library called 'The Hostapedia' by Mark Zilis.  The book weighs 9.4 pounds!  But, it has pictures of all the varieties I know I am growing.

I photographed all of them this morning.  While the temperature rises outside today, I'll sit here in my office and try to compare photos with pictures and descriptions in the book.  Hopefully, everything will be identified.  After all, I am off to a hosta sale tomorrow in Royal Oak and I need to know what I am looking for. 

As I've said before, I never met a hosta I didn't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.