Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cranberry Time

I love cranberries and this is my time of year.  My sons were here on Sunday for a belated birthday dinner and we had a pear and cranberry pie for dessert. 

I was just checking out what I need to make my cranberry chutney for the holidays.  It keeps well, so you can make it now and use it later.  If you read the recipe, it  will be clear why it keeps so well.  Make and enjoy.


BRANDIED CRANBERRY CHUTNEY 

In a 2-quart saucepan combine:

½ cup dried apricots, chopped fine
1 ¼ cup dark brown sugar
   ½ cup golden raisins
1 cup Brandy ( I use VSOP)

Bring to a boil and simmer for about ten minutes.

Add:

3 cups rinsed cranberries (fresh or frozen)
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and small dice
1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest  (zest lemon before squeezing for juice)

Simmer for about ten minutes or until cranberries are broken.

Stir in:

¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup chopped, crystallized ginger (not candied or powder or fresh)
¼ tsp hot pepper flakes
¼ tsp cinnamon

Allow to cool and then refrigerate for later use.  Serve at room temperature. 

You may adjust quantities of sugar, brandy, red pepper flakes and cinnamon, to taste.

This also makes a nice gift to friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.