Friday, October 19, 2018

This Land was Their Land - Mesa Verde

Mesa Verde has long been on my bucket list.  I marvel at the structures when I see photos.  Having watched several videos of the area, I finally got to see it for myself.

The ancestral Pueblo people settled here around 550 A.D.  Yes, long before Europeans came and took the land away.  As a matter of fact, the Pueblo people left the dwellings in the late 1200's.  The cliff dwellings were discovered in the 1800's and have been extensively excavated and studied.  But since the Pueblo people had no written language, there is much that remains unknown.  Our guide told us that he had Pueblo blood on his mother's side of the family.  He was very informative.  Here are some of my photos.



A second-generation pit house.

A third evolution of a large pit house.  Pit houses were entered through the roof.  They were in use from 550 to 750 A. D.


The structure had eight kivas and at least 60 rooms.  It was reached by ropes and ladders up the cliff face.  Below is a view of the cliff face showing the placement of the dwelling.

As I am struggling with some meds to treat a sinus infection, I will save my other pics for another day and call it a night.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Denise - the history must be so interesting ... it's difficult for us Europeans who are so used to writing that we haven't needed oral traditions for so long. It's such a pity the history has gone and may never be recovered. I'd like to do something at some stage about the history from up here ... but so pleased you got to see the Mesa Verde lands. I hope the sinus clears up - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vancouver has some fascinating history too. I really enjoyed my visit to the museum there.

      Delete
  2. Been there, too, and have always wondered how many toddlers stumbled off those cliff walls... Morbid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured I would be a stay-at-home mom. Who wants to climb a cliff to get home fromwork?

      Delete
  3. These abandoned ancient dwellings in the southwest are fascinating. Judy and I saw the one at Chaco Canyon in New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something else I've learned from your informative pieces! Get well soon Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m finally visiting after way too long. I’m so glad you visited this place but sorry to hear you have a sinus infection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating! I'd love to visit there, one day. Hope you're feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.