Friday, May 4, 2018

May 4, 1969

Well, I have a plan.  I am not sure I will finish it.  But my plan is to sit here with my diary from 1969, the only diary I have, and write about my European adventure 49 years ago, just as I did then at the end of each day.  I thought of this idea awhile back when I Googled my travel companion only to find out that she had passed away in 2014.  And so a little history of the start of that long summer vacation.

My mother and I never had a good relationship and this trip to Europe was one of those things we really disagreed about.  Just as she did not want me to go to college, she did not want me to go to Europe.  Well, she didn't want me to do a lot of things...., but...

On May 4, I believe it was a Sunday, my Dad took me to the airport.  The flight was delayed.  Well, actually, they did not have a plane.  We had to wait around all day for Cardinal Dearden to arrive from Rome where he had just been made a Cardinal, have that jet serviced and then we were off.  Hey, a blessed jet.  No worries.  We take off at 9:30 p.m.

My slides from that trip were badly faded and I was not about to pay to have them restored since very few of them even had me in the picture.  For visuals, I will rely on Wikipedia when available

I doubt that I can do the trip justice.  But I have thought I should write down some of this after looking at my expense ledger for the trip.  That is well worth a laugh.  And my kids will likely just toss the diary in the trash when I am gone, but here it can exist forever, lol.

I and my friend left Detroit that day with a round-trip, open return ticket on TWA.  (I know,  TW what?)  Detroit to Boston and on to Heathrow Airport in London, England.  I had a Eurail Pass good for three months and $1200 in traveler's cheques with a trip that was supposed to last 14 weeks.  It was Europe on $10 a day.  Woo-hoo.  Let the adventure begin in London on May 5, 1969.

14 comments:

  1. What a great project. You've got me thinking now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Rosey could give us some insight into your travels.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to the next installment. Your trip sounds exciting for a young woman, and I know the feeling of a parent not wanting you to do the things you want and to experience the big wide world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention that I only recently found out she was a high school drop-out. That explains a lot.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like fun.
    I look forward to reading about this trip and how long you lasted, and if you ran out of money, ate your way across Europe, lost the passport.......
    Let's begin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a fun thing to do. I look forward to reading more. Curious too how you lost track over time of your travel companion.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fabulous project, Denise! Love your travel posts. I was also in London in 1969, but it was June. Great time to be there! Carnaby St., Mary Quant, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well this sounds really interesting! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you Denise, all my travels in those days were done with my parents on the boats which were our homes. I remember TWA same as I remember British Airways. Actually your kids may not toss your diary, I wish like hell I had something like that from my parents as well as their photo albums. I often want to ask questions but there is no longer anyone to answer them. If only I had done so when they were alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really regret not talking about Polish Russia when my grandfather was alive. I know very little of his life there. I was just 13 when he died. My photos are all here and my sister recently gave me all of my mother's old photos. At least I have labeled mine and put them in folders, not just thrown them in boxes.

      Delete
  8. I am looking forward to your trip from 1969. I will see if you do the movie justice...the movie being, “If it’s Tuesday, This Must be Belgium.” I don’t understand why your mom was so resistant to you wanting to go to college or Europe. I a, also sad to know your friend from that time passed away. Even though you have not been in contact with her, it must have been sad for you to read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember if I saw the movie before we went or after we came home. Of course, we were not on a tour, just on our own with maps.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.