Friday, November 17, 2017

Lobster Mac and Cheese Recipe Re-post

I first posted this recipe in 2012.  We had it for my birthday dinner that year, which up until this year I usually cooked at home.  It really is too heavy for a side with any large meal, so I made it as the main course with a vegetable.  Here is the recipe with a few updates to the original post.


Lobster mac and cheese.  Ooo-ey gooey deliciousness.  And we ate almost the whole tray full.
It was a simple meal.  Lobster macaroni and cheese and baked acorn squash.  There were only four of us eating.  

I have always made this as a side dish, never as a meal by itself.  Wow.  Just concentrating on the flavors in the dish was a treat in itself.  No turkey, ham, chicken, whatever, to get in the way.

For those of you so inclined, here is my recipe.  I made one tweak when I could not find the lobster pieces I used to purchase.  I bought Lobster Classic and we all thought it was great.  


Lobster Macaroni and Cheese

 8 ounces penne or other tube-shaped pasta
½ tsp salt
4 cups milk
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
6 Tbsp flour 
1 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cayenne
salt and pepper to taste
12 ounces grated Gruyere cheese
5.2 ounces garlic and herb Boursin cheese
1 lb cooked lobster meat, chopped 

Method:
 
 Preheat oven to 350.  Bring a large pot of water to boil, add salt and cook pasta @ a rolling boil until almost tender.  Drain and rinse in cold water.  Set aside in a large bowl.
 
Bring the milk to just a boil in a heavy bottom saucepan.  While the milk is heating, melt the butter in another pan, whisk in the flour with wooden spoon.  Continue whisking for three minutes over low heat.  Do not brown.  Remove from heat.
 
Add the hot milk to the flour and butter mixture and whisk thoroughly.  It should be smooth.  Remove from heat and add seasonings and Boursin cheese and keep whisking until the mixture thickens (place on low heat if necessary).  It should coat the back of a spoon.
 
Pour over the pasta, stir in the lobster meat and toss to coat completely.
Grease a 13x9 baking dish and fill it evenly with the pasta and sauce.  Sprinkle the grated gruyere evenly over the pasta; add a dash of salt and pepper.  Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes.
 
Bread Crumb Hat.  Mix 1 cup Panko bread crumbs with 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese and 4 Tbsp melted butter.  Top casserole 5 minutes before end of baking time to allow bread crumb hat to become golden brown.
 
Remove from oven and let sit 5-10 minutes to set.  Serve.
 
Dish can be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated before baking, but it will take longer to cook in the oven depending on how cold it has gotten.

9 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorites! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I will pass it onto my husband, who is the cook in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lobster but not sure I would like it...just saying:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! My mouth is watering!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, Denise. I agree, best as a main course with vegetable or salad. Lobster everything!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never saw mac and cheese served as a side in England, it was always served as a main course. I love lobster too but I think I would use the fake lobster as the real thing is too expensive to do anything but eat as is IMHOP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use real lobster. Costs a fortune. Kids can't tell the difference in this dish.

      Delete
  6. This looks and sounds scrumptious! I used to run a seafood bistro and cooked something similar but I have to admit your sounds nicer! After reading your comment to my story I thought you might be iterestd in this - Tommy and his Magnifying Glass

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'll definitely have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds so delicious Denise and a great one for us as we don't eat meat. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.