Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Wednesday Hodgepodge

It has been ages since I participated in a Wednesday Hodgepodge.  Last June to be exact.  I read the questions and then decide that Wordless Wednesday is more my style and what I have time for.  But this week, I decided WTHeck.

1. Are you more task oriented or people oriented? Elaborate.
Very definitely task-oriented.  Usually 'cause I find that helpers are not really helpful when I have a task and I prefer to do it myself.  It is amazing that I taught in the hospital for eight years.  Then again, I was teaching students how to perform a task and do it right.

2. December 15 is National Wear Your Pearls Day...do you own/wear pearls?  Everyone share a 'pearl of wisdom' with us here today.
I have a pearl necklace.  I only have it because one of my sons told his dad that he wanted to get his Mom something really nice for Mother's Day.  When you know that one year I received an 5 HP self-propelled lawn mower, the request makes sense.  Alas, I can't even remember the last time I wore them, but it was way before I retired in 2008.
As for a 'pearl of wisdom', this is what a guy told me his mother told him when he first got serious with a girl.  'If you want to make a woman happy, never buy her anything with an electrical cord.' 

3. Speaking of pearls...oysters? Are you a fan or not a fan? If you answered yes, tell us your favorite way to eat oysters? If you said no, be honest-have you ever tried one or does just the idea of eating an oyster make you gag a little?

I like oysters and used to enjoy them as oysters Rockefeller at the old Joe Muer's in Detroit. I cannot remember the last time I had them, maybe not since I quit working at the hospital in 1977.

4. Time Magazine has named President-elect Donald Trump Person of the Year. Let's take presidents and presidential candidates out of the mix for a minute. If a political figure had not been chosen who would you name Man or Woman of the Year for 2016?
OK.  This just takes too much thought.  DT wins the election and Bob Dylan gets a Nobel Prize.  Talk about the world going to hell....(IMO)

5. The Pantone Color of the Year for 2017 has been announced, and it's a vibrant green aptly named-greenery. Your thoughts? Is this a color currently in your home or wardrobe? Will you add something in this shade for the new year? Click here to see the color.
I have green in my home, but not this shade.  Here are the colors I have in the living and dining areas (paint chips on a red tablecloth):
The two greens are much more subtle than the selection, so much so that when I tried to get a pic, they faded out on here.  Which is odd since the prior post shows almost perfect colors with the Christmas tree.  (don't even ask why I still have the paint chips considering these rooms were last painted about ten years ago.)  I love color and could never live in some of those rooms I see on HGTV where everything is some shade of taupe or beige.

6. Today I've had too much________________________.
Cold weather.  And this is just the start of the cold.  How many days till spring?

7. Share a favorite lyric from a favorite Christmas carol.
The first carol that comes to mind is Adeste Fideles - O Come all ye faithful, joyful and triumphant....  I no longer attend church and I don't go carolling, so not much chance I'll be singing it.  But unlike some moron on Amazon, I do not think you need to be Christian to sing carols.  They are just beautiful songs.  It's like saying you can't sing a love song if  you've never been in love.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.
December 12, 1980 was the last time I ever saw my Dad.  He was here for my son's birthday. Dad died suddenly on Christmas Eve that year.  This year I have thought more about it since reading posts of several bloggers who find this time of year difficult.  
The year he died I was upset because I only had five Christmas dessert plates and I needed six.  And then I only needed five.  I felt as though I had cursed our family.  I put the plates away and never used them again.  I had no idea where they were, but found them this summer.  And now I am again wondering where I stashed them.    

23 comments:

  1. You got a lawn mower one year. :) Gifts can be interesting, some more so than others. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A neighbor told me his wife would divorce him if he gave her a lawnmower. Well, we both ended up divorced but I doubt the lawnmower had any influence. I actually enjoy yard work.

      Delete
  2. My dad passed away in early December over 20 years ago and is always on my mind during the holiday season. We have had some cold weather, mixed with the odd 60-degree day and I love that! Reminds me winter is but a season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it will many months before we see 60 degrees again. It was 13 F when I got up this morning.

      Delete
  3. That was the most ridiculous thing I read so far today that one has to be Christian to sing Christmas carols. Indeed, they are beautiful songs! I wish there was a way to ban deaths in December, but of course there isn't. I think I had pearl earrings at one time in my life, but I stopped wearing jewelry a few years back, so not sure what became of them.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another blogger commented to me that she wondered if the guy knew the religion of the man whose birth we celebrate. Makes my head spin.

      Delete
  4. The entire gift-giving thing is so subjective. I happen to love electrical cords. Ha!

    Oh I hope that you find your lovely plates and enjoy them. I am quite certain that your dad would want you to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to see if I can find them today. They'd be pretty just sitting out on a table.

      Delete
  5. Loved your words of wisdom...works for me! My dad died in December of 2006...coming up on the 10-year mark. Miss him so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have numerous strands of pearls (my birthstone) so I will wear one tomorrow - thank you for the head's up.
    Let's hope that Pantone color of the year translates to the color of money!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your 'pearl of wisdom'. Some people love them though. I always wanted something personal not something the whole family could use. Now I just don't care!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pearl of wisdom is a standard around here. My Sweetie is a techie, everything has a cord of some sort...I live with them (large piles of cords) on a daily basis, I don't want to get them as gifts! Every now and again I came across paint chips that I've saved, I usually can't remember what I saved them for, but I still don't throw them away just in case I remember...Back in the drawer they go! :) Hope you have a great week.
    Cheers!
    lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am at a point now that I wish the boys would stop buying me stuff. I still have gifts in boxes that I've never used. Guess they can sell them when I'm gone.

      Delete
  9. That pearl of wisdom is probably right in most cases. My child-bride Suzanne would like items with cords. The lawnmower might please her, too. I guess it depends upon the person. Have a great week and a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the lawn mower, it was my son who objected to the practical gift.

      Delete
  10. I'm with you re DT, but do you really dislike Bob Dylan that much? I've never had oysters Rockefeller, but I do like a fried oyster poor boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I dislike Bob Dylan. Not into too many rock singers or groups. I'm a jazz, classical, standards kinda person. Pretty sure I never had fried pysters.

      Delete
  11. I love pearls and have two gorgeous strings (one was my mother's) plus earrings. I have read somewhere, recently, that pearls are "coming back". I love that quote about no electrical cord, so very true. I love steamed oysters, used to have a special fire in the back yard in NC just for steaming oysters. Too expensive in Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have travelled extensively in Canada from one end to the other. I have always found that food is expensive. My son was shocked when the honeymooned in BC at the cost of food.

      Delete
    2. Prime example, when we were live in NC we came back to stay with friends at Thanksgiving (October here) and bought the turkey. Got an 11 lb turkey for $22 then we went back to NC and for Christmas bought a 22 lb bird for $11. Mind you, food in England isn't cheap either.

      Delete
  12. Regarding your #8...{{{Hugs}}} I miss my daddy, too. I know that you know you didn't curse your family, but it is hard not to associate the two things in your life. I've been there. I also can understand losing the plates. It hurts too much to see them.

    Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was also the wall clock that stopped at the time he died. Weird right? The history of the clock is another long story.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.