Monday, August 3, 2015

One Bloomin' Season - It's already August!

Welcome.  Is it really possible that we are already in August?  Where did the time go?  Here is the view from one of the kitchen windows in my 'garden kitchen':
That's purple Joe Pye weed standing tall in the back-center of a large flower bed.   Also in that bed are three varieties of heliopsis, the daisy type bloom, and lots of yarrow.
And while all of the daylilies have now appeared and continue to bloom, new hostas are still opening each day.  This past week saw the opening of Hosta 'Gold Standard', an all-time classic.

H. 'First Frost'
H. 'Fortunei Aureomarginata' - I need to move this but don't know where to put it.  It grows on both sides of the fence.

H. 'Guacamole' - it smells wonderful too
H. 'June'

On the left is H. 'Fortunei Aurea' and on the right is H. 'Stained Glass', another fragrant hosta with pale-golden leaves.

And this is H. 'Whirlwind', introduced in 1989 by John Kulpa of Warren, MI.  Yay, John.  I love the variation in those leaves, but then y'all know how much I love hostas.

I'm saving the 'flowering-flowers' for next week, but here is another astilbe that blooms a little later than the others.  It is called 'Color Flash' and has leaves that will change colors as we move into fall.  Fall?  already?


8 comments:

  1. You are not alone in your love of Hostas Denise. Everywhere I go lately I see them in people's front yards. I think their flowers are pretty. I asked you, the other day, if you had a kitchen garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kitchen garden per se. I only grow herbs and patio tomatoes. And rosemary in the kitchen itself.

      Delete
  2. Oh I just love your flowers and it must just look so wonderful when you wake up in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAH! When I wake up in the morning all I see is clean-up, lol. That's what happens with daylilies. You really need to deadhead every day.

      Delete
  3. I'm surprised that it's August already, too.

    Your plants are amazing! I wish I had your green thumb. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I just finished dead-heading a bunch of red daylilies and my thumbs are dark red. I've used up a lot of lemons this summer cleaning off the dyes.

      Delete
    2. Obviously you don't wear gloves

      Delete
    3. If you wear gloves when you are deadheading the daylilies, you end up knocking off un-opened buds. Unless you wear latex and then your hands sweat. Such is the life of a gardener.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.