Monday, April 20, 2015

Q is for Quarenghi


  
Sometimes in this challenge you have to get creative.  (If you think this is a stretch, wait to see what I came up with for the letter 'X'.)
Giacomo Antonio Domenico Quarenghi designed the Alexander Palace and the Hermitage Theatre.  (The architect's name most heard in Saint Petersburg is Rastrelli, the architect of Catherine's Palace and the Winter Palace itself.)
My first career choice in middle school was architecture up until my drafting teacher told me that women do not get jobs as architects.  That was 1959.  I'm sure much has changed since then.


The Alexander Palace was the home of the last Czar and his family, Nicholas II and Alexandra.  Unfortunately, time did not allow a trip to this Palace.
File:Alexander Palace Pushkin (6 of 13).jpg
Photo: By Flying Russian (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Quarenghi designed the Academy of Sciences Building below:

File:Spb 06-2012 Palace Embankment various 12.jpg
The Hermitage Theatre as seen from the palace Embankment - Photo by A. Savin - A picture of the Theater interior may be seen at the link I gave above.  My pictures did not turn out due to the dim lighting.

Tolkien Bonus:  Q is the Quenta Silmarillion, a history of the early days of Arda.  


9 comments:

  1. I do believe that the brief given to all the architects of the bygone era in Russia consisted of a single word: Expansive. No wonder almost everything is built on such a lavish scale. And so well maintained to this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter the Great wanted that western European feel and in these buildings he got it.

      Delete
  2. Magnificent buildings, quite stately. I'm glad history has changed enough since 1959 so that my daughters won't be told they can't do something because they are girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You pulled off the "Q" post very well, Denise - good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a struggle. There was a blogger today who used the word 'quintessential'. I'm going to remember that for the future.

      Delete
  4. I love the green of the Theatre-I can see, just from these 2, a similarity in style which makes sense considering:) My mom and you have something in common. She always loved building things. When she was a kid there was a n evergreen forest right across the road. She would take the needles and make floor plans when she was as young as 5. She wanted to take architecture but thought there was no way for her to do that since she was a girl(and she was 17 when the war ended so where would she go to school). When my parents built the addition on the the home, she designed the addition and had it built!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything in Russia was very colorful. I guess you need that when you live so far North.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful buildings, but that seems to be so true of many Russian palaces and such. Lots of columns in this case. I believe they were very fond of French designs and many Russian nobles spoke French in preference to Russian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the architects were Italian. Different pictures for tomorrow.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.