Thursday, October 16, 2014

To Re-une, or not to Re-une, Not really a Question

Do you attend your high school reunions?  Have you ever attended one?  Do you have close friends from high school that you still see after 40 or 50 years?

My answers are yes, yes, and no.  And since I do not keep in touch with these folks from 50 years ago, I have decided to skip my 50th reunion on Saturday.  (I decided that before I found out I was having house guests for the week-end.)

I have attended three reunions in the past.  I went to my ten year reunion with my husband.  Many attendees were there with spouses.  I think what many of us discovered is that bringing a spouse to a reunion is like bringing an overcoat to the desert, i.e. you are dragging it around the entire day and have no use for it whatsoever.  (Unless of course you graduated together.)

At the 20 year reunion, I do not remember seeing any spouses.  It was also the reunion where everyone was ready to tell tales long hidden about fellow classmates.  That reunion was pretty well-attended and quite an eye-opener for me.

The 30th reunion was not so well-attended, but proved to be another eye-opener.  There were men wearing leisure suits (this is now 1994) and still living in the 60's when it came to lifestyle (hanging out at McDonald's?  Really?).  Some of the women still had the same 60's hairstyles and the same pink lipstick.  I felt like I had traveled in a time machine whilst wearing a designer Carmen Marc Valvo evening gown.  I realized that other than graduating with these people, we had not very much in common.

So, earlier this year when I received an email asking for my current information, I answered the questions and sent it back.  When asked if I wanted to purchase a book with info on my fellow classmates, I politely declined.

I doubt that anyone will miss me on Saturday.  I'll be having dinner with my family in a nice quite Italian restaurant.  I am sure we will be trading travel adventure stories, their's in Paris and mine in Russia.

And I am sure all of my old classmates will be spending the evening talking about who made it and who didn't, who looks young and who aged poorly, and all the same cattiness I heard in the past.  Who needs it.


My high school letter for sports.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh-I disliked my high school time. I was severely bullied, not only name calling but spat on, pushed and threatened with having my throat cut from ear to ear. I went to the emergency every year because they always tried to break my fingers on my right hand (I am right-handed). I didn't know it would be difficult to break bones since I have Ehlers-Danlos but my fingers swelled. They would jeer me and try to convince me to commit suicide. It was horrible. There were some who were nice but I was basically alone until grade 11 when I found 1 friend. By the end I had 2 more and some others would talk to me but were scared to if they would also get the wrath. Look at me spill my guts. So I have no desire to go to the reunion or see most of those people. I find those people still view high school in rose coloured glasses and want to relive it as they were popular. That is the past and the future was always much brighter. Oh and I published my lovely award from you:) I didn't nominate anyone so I hope you don't mind:) I know you will have a much better time Sat with your family than at the reunion. I am certain there may be even some who have passed away and that is always sad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the bullying. I was the 'smart one', not the cool one. Plus, because I had skipped a grade, I was younger than many of my classmates. I have few fond memories of the time I spent there.

      Delete
  2. As I went to 10 different schools, I would have problems. However, they used not to have school reunions when I lived in the UK. Dunno if this has changed since I left. I don't know anyone from any of my schools. I always hated school anyway plus I was always much more "grown up" than my contemporaries thanks to my parents chugging me all over Europe.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.