Monday, April 7, 2014

F is for Frankfurt am Main


Frankfurt am Main was my first stop in Germany, day 10 of the trip.  I went from the airport to my hotel in Offenbach and then back to the city center for dinner.  I was back here again two weeks later to fly home.


Below is the City Hall, or Romer in the Romerplatz.  The Fountain of Justice is in the foreground.

City square in old town with the Dom in the background (left)




 Old Nikolai Church:



Below is the Dreikonigskirche - 1881.  Notice the rooster on the top of the steeple indicating a Lutheran Church.  Catholic churches have crosses on the top.


And what is a German city without a Ratskeller?


Yes, it all looks gloomy and the weather would pretty much stay that way for the next two weeks.  It was still a wonderful trip.

On my Bucket List:  Finland

12 comments:

  1. I never new the rooster was for Lutheran churches! Learned something new today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was something I learned in Switzerland and thought I would pass it along. I don't think we do that here in the states.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful architecture. Curious to know more on Frankfurt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't know the bit about the rooster. Loved your pics, Denise, and the captions. What on earth is a Ratskeller?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A ratskellar (council's cellar) is the bar or restaurant in the basement of a German city hall. So, the cellar of the ratshaus. We have a popular restaurant in the city by that name and another one near the U of M campus, only here we call them Rathskellars. I could probably do a whole post about the association of politicians and 'rats'.

      Delete
  4. Lovely old buildings. I didn't know about the rooster either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not gloomy at all! Look at that gorgeous architecture. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The architecture is so beautiful. I wish we had more like that here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On first glance, I thought this was a square the Netherlands. I don't think I realized the similarities in the architecture, but it certainly makes sense. Lovely photographs!

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been to Franfurt when I was 16 we had a whole day layover. I remember seeing what you have on the pics and loving it. I recall seeing a Van Eck in the Church and was surpirzed it was there unguarded and I could have touched it if I wanted. The biggest surprize is we wanted to get back to the train station and we could not find anyone who spoke German or English. Finally the 9 th person my mom asked spoke English and we made it to the Bahnhof:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So striking! The architecture in the Germanic countries are so different.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.