Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Going up in Smoke

OK.  I know that some of you out there are just as old as I am.  Remember when every bar and restaurant had bowls of matches at the door when you entered?  (Now they have bowls of mints)

I used to collect the matchbooks even though I never smoked.  They were a nice reminder of where I had been.  I had a rather large collection.  But long ago our basement flooded and the shoebox, which had been on the floor for some reason and not on a shelf, got a little soggy.

I still have a basket of a few that remain on the bar in my family room.  I never use them since if I need a match I use one of those firestarter clicky things.  Besides, there is no chance I will burn my finger waiting for a candle wick to light.

But I did decide to sort through them and take a picture of what is left.  I'm wondering how many of these places have been visited by my readers.


2 comments:

  1. Certainly La Tour Eiffel. Don't really recognise any of the other names. I don't remember going into bars with matches, maybe it was predominantly in the States.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Modavie and XIX Siecle are both in Montreal. Don't remember when I picked them up.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.