Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Walking in de Leon's Footprints

Ponce de Leon.  Do they still teach about him in geography and history classes?  If you recall, he was the Spanish explorer who was looking for the 'Fountain of Youth' and found Florida instead.  Hmmm.  Is that why so many senior citizens move there?

Are you someone who chases after your lost youth?  I don't mean the youthful adventures you might have had; I mean the young looking skin with no wrinkles.

I myself am not one of those people and maybe that explains to some degree my impatience and lack of understanding for women, and men, who are so vain.  And who think everyone is fooled by their endeavors to recapture what they never can.

At the spa the other day, there was a woman who was waiting for a facial.  Her face was so grotesque I could not look at her to speak.  Maybe she was a burn victim or had a horrible accident.  But from the conversation with her, I think she was just chasing something that disappreared 20 or 30 years ago.  Who knows? 

Her upper lip did not move.  Her cheeks were tucked quite firmly under her wide-open eyes.  No jowls or facial movements at all.  No smile.  I saw her after her facial when she was raving about how wonderful they are and how she just loves the 'peel' and the warm air blowing over her face.  She looked like an onion emerging from a wind tunnel.

There is a woman around the Detroit area who is very well known.  She is in her 70's.  I ran into her a few years ago at a breakfast.  It was scary.  I asked someone who serves on a committee with her how they can sit at meetings with her.  They said they make sure they are always on the same side of the table. 

While you can have your face tucked, plumped, stretched, whatever, you certainly cannot hide your hands and the age spots that inevitably develop.  And do these women really think they can compete with younger women, for what I do not know.

I am sure that plastic surgeons need to make money as much as anyone, but I always thought this profession existed to help those with serious medical conditions, not trying to help old ladies look 20 or 30 years younger.  Is it just me?

If you want to read something really scary, check out this post about how a plastic surgeon would make models more beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. I do so agree with you, so many women are chasing rainbows. It's like those women who will not state their age, my mother wouldn't for years but then as she got older, she looked good and so stated her age proudly as though it was something she had achieved. Nature was just good to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know you are right denise--but although i have never had any cosmetic surgery---i can't say that i wouldn't have a couple of things taken care of--if i had the money and knew i would be okay---it is hard not to feel inadequate sometimes, when youth is appreciated as it is---but hey, i guess if us older women still looked young, then the younger ones would never get any men--cause surely they would pick us with all of our life experience and knowledge----i wish i were more like you---you seem to have it all together girl!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.