Tuesday, April 24, 2012

MMM, MMMM, Good

I think I have mentioned before that I am a recipe tester for America's Test Kitchen.  I love the show, the website and the magazines.  So, a few years ago, I volunteered to be a recipe tester.  Notice the word 'volunteer'.  No money.  No reimbursement.  Just 'good eats', to borrow a phrase from Alton Brown.  (If you are new to cooking, his books are great.)

I do not always make the recipes sent to me.  Sometimes I do not like the food involved or I haven't the time in my schedule.  When I make main courses, I find friends or family to invite.

For some recipes, I make the accommodations of time and effort, no matter what.  The recipe for Chocolate Espresso Dacquoise required the effort.  It was not inexpensive to make and required a good bit of time.  But, OMG, it was well worth it.  Wonderful layers of meringue, espresso buttercream, and chocolate ganache.

Since I knew I  could easily eat an entire recipe when chocolate, butter, hazelnuts and almonds were involved, I arranged things so that it would be ready to serve this morning.  Then I packed it up and headed over to the hospital kitchen where I volunteer.  I figured I would find plenty of people ready to taste.

As it turned out the Executive Chef was having a birthday, so it turned into a birthday cake of sorts.  Everyone was 'oohing' and 'aahing'.  It was delicious, light, wonderful and on and on.  Lots of happy smiles.

In all likelihood, sometime this fall I will pick up an America's Test Kitchen magazine and see the recipe included.  I'm already thinking that it has to be my Christmas dessert. 

Wish I could offer you a taste, but you will have to settle for a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.