Monday, March 29, 2010

Pork Shoulder in a Crock Pot

Every summer I love to smoke foods on my grill.  Seems like I can never find a bone-in pork shoulder when I want one.  While shopping Saturday, I found them in the store.  I bought one thinking I would freeze it.  When I got home, I decided just to cook it.  But since rain was forecast for Sunday, it was not likely I would be running in and out of the house.  I searched the internet for a method of doing one in a crock-pot, since I did not want my oven on all day. 

After reading several recipes, I came up with the following method.  It was certainly simple and very tasty.

Crock-Pot Pork Shoulder

1 pork shoulder, bone-in, about 5-6 pounds

Remove large piece of fat, if any, on outside of meat. Rub the meat with salt, pepper, Penzey's Adobo seasoning, and smoked paprika. You may wish to cut meat along natural sections and season well. Make sure it will fit in your slow-cooker.  Wrap in saran and let sit in refrigerator overnight in dish to contain any liquid that seeps out.

Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking.

Place in slow-cooker, with a couple of roughly chopped onions, and 1/4 cup of water in the bottom.

Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour. Turn to LOW and cook 6 to 8 hours longer, until very tender. During cooking you may want to remove liquid that accumulates, not all, so as not to stew the meat instead of braising it.

Remove roast and discard fat and juices from pot, leaving about one-cup juice and melted onions. Shred the pork with two forks.

Mix enough barbecue sauce into the juice in pot to season meat. (I used Sweet Baby Ray's 18 oz. size). Add pork back to pot and stir. Adjust seasoning.

Cook for about 10 minutes longer, until hot. Serve on warm split sandwich buns with coleslaw and extra barbecue sauce on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.