Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge - Mid-September edition

Welcome to the Wednesday Hodgepodge hosted by Joyce at From This Side of the Pond.  Hop on over to see what others are saying and thanks to Joyce for hosting.

1. Is a picture worth a thousand words? Elaborate.
Yes, for example:
Granddaughter Mackenzie

2. Have you ever driven any part of the Pacific Coast Highway? If so what was your favorite stop? If not, is this sort of trip on your bucket list?

I've driven the west coast from Eugene, Oregon to San Diego, California, so yes.  My favorite scenery was in Carmel and the favorite stop was Hearst Castle.  Most of my old slides (trip was in 1975) were destroyed, but here is one that survived of the castle:

3. How do the changing seasons affect you? As the seasons change do you find yourself looking more forward or backward? Which season-season transition bothers you most? Why do you suppose that is? 
I get energized in the spring and fall.  I am always looking ahead.  I absolutely hate winter in Michigan, yet I have no desire to be a snowbird.  I do not like being cold or shoveling snow.  Winters colds and arthritis aches.  Ugh.  I keep looking forward to spring.

4. It's your birthday and you get to pick the dinner menu. What are we having? Do you ever lie about your age?
I usually cook for my birthday.  My favorite food is pizza, yet I do not think we have ever had that.   And I cannot remember what I made last year for my 70th.  I lied about my age until I turned 40.  I was stuck on 24.  When I turned 50 two good friends took me to dinner and did the traditional cake with candles and singing, a first for me.  It was quite the show since one of them was a former professional ballplayer that everyone recognized and I am sure most folks were wondering who the heck I was. 

5. What's a life lesson you've learned recently?
I learned most of my lessons many years ago, the most important being that if you cannot do anything about something, don't worry about it.  I have to keep turning off the news radio station and just get on with my life.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.
So, this morning I registered for ID protection thanks to Equifax and their blunder.  A perfect example of something I have little control over.  I hate that there is so much information about everyone that is accessible online and one can do very little about it.

Have a great day!

17 comments:

  1. Enjoyed my visit with you this morning.. and I was really struck by your response to lesson learned.... that is me almost every day.. By turning off the media life continues moderately and and my hope abounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your granddaughter is adorable!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the baby is so cute! And I agree, I hate winter, but I have no plans to move south.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just went to Equifax and signed up, makes me so angry. Your granddaughter is beautiful and worth far more than a thousand words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely grandbaby. Not sure what Equifax is. How old is she? Matt's greatgrandbaby is just turned one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Equifax is a credit reporting company. 143 million social security numbers were hacked. Grandbaby is now four months old.

      Delete
  6. Your granddaughter is adorable, Haven't understood everything that is going on with Equifaxll it seems nothing is safe and protected anymore. Enjoyed reading your responses thank you for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your granddaughter is so very cute and love her expression. I think it's time for you to go to Hearst castle again to take more pictures. I have never been but would love to go there and drive along the coast. I think we are always learning but I find I am becoming more chill. Why sweat the small stuff? I look forward to every season except the dead of summer with the unbearable heat and humidity. I love it when the trees turn colour...beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great answers to the questions Denise, and that picture of your granddaughter is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your comments. I especially like your life lesson. Your granddaughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carmel is a given. Pizza is my favorite and I do eat it on my birthday and every other chance I get. I think Equifax is a hoax so they could sell some services and if it is not a hoax shame on them to make money off of it. Surprising how many do not know what Equifax is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Costco is offering ID protection for 8.99 a month. Everyone is cashing in.

      Delete
    2. My son worked at Hungry Howies in college and I only ordered pizza once. Such willpower, lol.

      Delete
  11. Our financial planner has advised putting a freeze on your credit reports at the top three agencies. It does cost a little something and can be removed with a phone call, so might be worth considering. If you're not applying for a job, mortgage or credit card anytime soon that is, otherwise it would be a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cannot even get through to Equifax to place a freeze. Got the other two big ones done. Couldn't even pull credit reports.

      Delete
  12. I need to turn off my TV before I decide to throw something at it! I guess I am just not worried about the Equifax things. I have so many other things to worry about. I did get a new chipped debit card this week!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.