Wednesday, May 3, 2017

A Wednesday Hodgepodge - Volume 306


I am joining Joyce today at From This Side of the Pond.  If you wish to see what she and others are posting, click here.

 1. Can you tell I'm embracing a Cinco de Mayo theme here this week? Do you like Mexican food? What's your favorite dish? How about on the side-black beans, pinto beans, refried beans, rice? What about heat-mild, medium, hot? Will you celebrate with Mexican food and drink on May 5th aka Cinco de Mayo?

I like Mexican food.  I especially like enchiladas and use a recipe I found many years ago in Gourmet magazine.  I like all the side that go with Mexican food too.   Medium heat is plenty hot enough for me and sometimes all I want is mild.  I am not planning on Mexican food for Friday.  I get Blue Apron this week and will probably be eating the chicken entree with couscous. 

2. Ever been to Mexico? For work or holiday? Love it or not? If you haven't been,  is this a place you'd like to visit? Can you speak Spanish?

I've never traveled to Mexico and have never had an desire to do so.  I have traveled all around the country of Spain, but I speak no Spanish.  When I was in Spain, I traveled with someone who spoke the language.

3. What's one thing you may accomplish this month?

I have another garden project to remove some lawn and plant with some shrubs.  I also have a large patch of invasive non-desirable grass that I am in the process of killing and will likely just re-sod it anew.  And here I thought garden projects were done.  Right!

4. If you were mayor of your village, city, or town, what's one thing you'd like to see changed, done away with, revamped, or accomplished? Is serving in public office something you've ever seriously considered?

I never desired to be 'mayor', but I was the Treasurer for over 20 years.  I pushed for the banning of outdoor burning of leaves and curbside recycling.  I caused quite a ruckus when I got the Board to replace the meadowlark as the Township Bird.  No one had seen one in many, many years.  They replaced it with the Chickadee and the newspapers complained that the bird was 'too common'.  I told them then perhaps we should have chosen the dodo bird.  No one has seen them in a long time either.  Duh!

5. What's something that may be popular, but that you just don't get?

Sharing your entire life on Facebook.  AS IT IS HAPPENING!  Who cares?

6. Can't let this week slip by without mentioning Thursday May 4th is 
Star Wars Day. As in 'May the 4th be with you' ahem. Are you a fan of the Star Wars series? Exactly how much of a fan are you? On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being 'I've seen every film, own the action figures, might have dressed as Darth Vader for Halloween one year', and 1 being, 'what's a Vader?' -where do you land?
Can I tell you how much I regret not buying duplicate figures for my sons and then storing the unopened ones in the attic?  I own all the movies - first on VHS, then on DVD, then on DVD in the boxed sets.  While I never dressed as one of the characters, my son and his college friends dressed up for the 20th year anniversary and re-release of the original film.  I had a set of Star Wars glasses somewhere.  Not sure where they are now.  So maybe an 8.5?

7. Scroll back through your blog posts and in three sentences or less tell us the general theme of your fourth blog post. Does it still ring true today? Is it a topic you re-visit on your blog from time to time?

Monday, January 4, 2010.  I did not have to return to work after the holiday because I was retired.  Still true today.  I had baked bread and was making soup.  And grousing about the weather.

So, seven years later I do not bake as much bread, but I still make a lot of soup in the winter and I still bitch about the weather.  It is still raining here.  Enough already!

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

The newest addition to our family, my granddaughter, is due to arrive just about any day now.  My first son came one day early, the next two weeks late, and the last one was a full month past my due date.  Babies just come when they decide they are done brewing.  And we all just sit on pins and needles waiting for the call of 'It's time'.

18 comments:

  1. I can't understand the Facebook-my-life-by-the-minute either. I see a couple people do that along with tons of selfies and wonder why they are letting real life slip by as they are so focused on their devices. Congratulations in advance on your new granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I am not the only one who feels that way about Facebook. And another blogger said she doesn't understand selfies. Thanks for the congrats and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful to visit another country with someone who speaks the language! Looking forward to hearing all about your new granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked out well because I spoke French - have forgotten most of it by now - but we managed to understand enough to get through the trip.

      Delete
  3. I agree with you about Facebook...folks can share way too much. Nothing is 'sacred', anymore. So excited for you regarding the upcoming birth of your new granddaughter...I'm sure the waiting is the hardest part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While the waiting is the hardest part, I told them they had better hope that labor starts in the middle of the night because with all the road construction and detours around here they may not make it to the hospital in time.

      Delete
  4. Babies have a way of showing up when they are ready. Good thing is she didn't come too early which can cause problems. Bet everyone is eager to see her and hold her.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So different from years ago when we had to wait until the baby was born to know its sex.

      Delete
  5. Well my grandson is still several weeks away from making his debut, but I'm already on pins and needles here : ) I think FB is a mixed blessing. We've moved a lot and have friends and family all over the world. I really enjoy seeing what they're doing (maybe don't need every little detail! ) but it's been fun to keep in touch this way. Good luck with your gardening projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not on Facebook, but if I was I would limit who could view it.

      Delete
  6. Garden projects never seem to be done, are they? The meadowlark is our state bird here in Kansas. I have never seen one! But I don't want them to replace it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do not have meadowlarks here anymore. We do have a great blue heron rookery and they are our on Township logo.

      Delete
  7. Could not agree with you more about #5! SO TRUE! Who does care? And, all the people begging for compliments and advice? Pick up the phone and call a real friend people! So done with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like me, friend me, follow me. I get these requests from folks I do not even like and who criticize me. What is up with that?

      Delete
  8. I don't spend much time on Facebook - there is a hell of a lot of rubbish on there. Mind you I blog about the minutae of my life instead LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blog about minutiae too, but it is not 24-7 and I am sure we do not tell ALL.

      Delete
  9. I'm in Mexico now and, funny, Cinco de Mayo is not celebrated here at all. Their Independence day is September 16, which definitely is celebrated. I think Americans took the day over and made it an excuse to drink :)

    I go on FB now and then, but I rarely post anything. I don't care to expose my life (or fake life) like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Americans also use St. Patrick's Day to drink. They had long lines at bars around here before the 7:00 am opening. Folks said they planned to stay all day. I don't understand it.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.