Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Wednesday Hodgepodge - March 22 Edition



Welcome to the Wednesday Hodgepodge hosted by Joyce over at From This Side of the Pond.  Hop on over there to see the other participants.  And now:

1. Setting aside the real March Madness (NCAA Basketball) describe something happening at your house this month that might earn the title 'March Madness'?

How about having my house resided in HardiPlank siding?  They started the day of the windstorm.  And then the temps plummeted.  And then we got snow.  They have some things to finish up, but had to order some items that got damaged by the wind.  Who knows what awaits us?

2. What's a favorite made up word from your childhood or a favorite from your children's childhood? Does your family still use the word today? If there's a story behind the origin please share.

My mother was discussing someone one time and instead of calling them a 'stupid idiot', she said they were 'stupiotic'.  I use the word to this day.  Unfortunately, I seem to have the need to use it quite often.  I noticed that 'stupidiotic' is a real word.  Who knew?

3. Will you be doing any spring cleaning now that the season is upon us? 
I read here a list of 15 quick (under one hour) spring cleaning tasks. They were-
            clean out a drawer, vacuum furniture, whiten tile grout, dust the nooks and        crannies you don't get to year round, degrease kitchen cabinets, wipe down walls, go behind furniture, wipe down ceiling fans, vacuum the mattress, clean the range hood, wash baseboards, shine the stainless steel, clean out vents, tackle the windows, and wipe down gadgets
Of the fifteen 'quick' tasks listed which two most need doing at your house? Will you do them?

Windows are at the top of my list.  The sun came out today and it only makes the windows look worse.  I have 26 panes of large glass, so it will take much longer than one hour.    I will get out the ladder and wipe the ceiling fans.  I hate that job.

Several of those other items are things I do on a regular basis, like the range hood.  Maybe if folks never cook, they have no need to do it but once a year?

4. A favorite movie set in Paris or New York?

I spent April in Paris one year.  I love the movie 'Midnight in Paris'.  It is the first movie that came to mind when I read the question, but I could pick several.


5. What's put a spring in your step this month?

Having the house sided.  Really.  My home is wood and after 45 years that original wood had had it.  If I am lucky, this siding will not need repainting until I have sold the house.  I walk out on the deck and look at it and it looks so nice.   Better than looking at peeling paint.

6. Did you ever want to be a teacher? Why or why not?

I never ever considered being a teacher, but after graduation I worked in two teaching hospitals.  I had no students at the first one, but when I returned to the City hospital where I trained, I eventually found myself teaching medical technology students and PhD biochemistry students.  My specialty?  Clinical enzymology and some lipidemiology.  Not exactly cocktail talk subjects.  It was 'one on one' in the lab and I actually missed it when I left.  I taught for nearly seven years.

7.  What's your favorite floral scent? Do you have this somewhere in your home or maybe in a perfume? How do you feel about florals in food? How about wines with floral notes-yay or nay?

I do not think I have a favorite floral scent.  I have a few that I hate.  Narcissus, hyacinth, and  stargazer lilies immediately come to mind.  My perfumes are more powdery and citrusy, but I have a friend who wears a wonderful rose scent.  And while I enjoy a good wine, I am not very good at detecting those floral notes.  Since I can be very sensitive to scent, I rarely will wear any perfume anymore as I have discovered many folks who have issues with it.  I even avoid the cosmetic aisles in big stores.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Ah, spring.  You are so unpredictable.  You can't seem to decide if you want to come and stay or just make a brief and fleeting appearance.  There are puddles all over the yard.  It is too mushy to work out here.  While the sun is shining today, the wind is cold and biting.  Of course, you will seem like a very pleasant memory if we have a hot summer.

Thanks for stopping by.  And thanks to Grandma-to-be Joyce for hosting.

20 comments:

  1. "Stupiotic" really is a word! I learned something new today. Like you, our winter to spring to winter carousel has spun again and we are back to winter. Howling winds outside, windchill of 13. Yesterday it was sunny and 53! I do not like this spring so far. Enjoy your siding. Ours is 27 years old and falling apart. Might be our next project. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Stupidiotic' is a word, but maybe stupiotic should be. I only found that out when it got flagged my spell check. It is colder here this morning and going into the teens tonight. Crazy.

      Delete
  2. 1. Did you post at 9:49 last night and I got it reasonably on time?
    2. How do they affix the hardiplank to your house? Do they remove the old wood? Do they put it directly on top of the old wood or is there a layer of something between the old and the new layers?
    3. My favorite floral scent is Channel No. 5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted at 9:49 PDT, or 12:49 AM our time.
      The hardiplank went right over the wood. They wrap the house in a protective barrier to keep moisture out. I had Kearns Bros do the work.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I had some damage this winter from frozen pipes so I will have to deal with it this spring/summer.

      Delete
  3. I loved Midnight in Paris too. We are experiencing a crazy Spring in the Northeast too. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love Charade, too, or anything with Cary Grant.

      Delete
  4. Stupiotic! Love it. It could also fit to describe things that are so idiotic they put one into a stupor.

    Your weather sounds a lot like ours. Temps are predicted to be single numbers by tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun is shining, but it is still really cold. Brrr.

      Delete
  5. We had temps in the 80's here yesterday...tomorrow will be a high of 56. Can this crazy weather make up its mind already?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting for you to be putting a whole new face on your house! But, your weather does sound like its been a challenge and an adventure. We here in the deep south seem to be bypassing spring as we did winter and going straight to summer. But, we are always ready for the budding of flowers and bright sunshine. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid my flower buds will be killed with tonight's temps in the teens.

      Delete
  7. We have Hardi and love it! I'm sure once the job is completed you will be so happy with yours too. I had an arangement with a ginormous lily in it and I finally had to toss the lily because the scent was overpowering. I think a little floral anything goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it when my son sends flowers with lilies. I have to pull them out. I find that more and more folks are bothered by scent.

      Delete
  8. This March weather is quite nuts!
    We force grew Paperwhites one winter and oh boy, did they smell bad!
    Unfortunately, I love to wear perfume and don't think I could give it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to wear perfume all the time too. When I started having issues with scents due to allergies, I stopped.

      Delete
  9. We had our place in North Carolina re-sided too. It hadn't lasted 40 years or anything like it. I like your comment about the cooker hood. Mine too is done regularly. Don't wear perfumes any more for the same reason. Can't smell it any more anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the re-siding. The wind storms and snow storm has given us a beating with our roof. I agree about the windows and want to attack them when the weather gets nicer. I do like doing a good cleaning job and my mom, being German, taught me well. The first 2 films that came into my head are both Fred Astaire Musicals-The Bandwagon and Funny Face

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking forward to using "stupiotic" in a sentence (btw, Word doesn't think it's a word)... unfortunately, I don't think I'll have to wait very long to find the perfect opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupiotic isn't a word. Stupidiotic is.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.