Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Repeal the Fireworks Law on Facebook

I received an email yesterday from Representative Henry Yanez of Madison Heights.  Rep. Yanez has started a Facebook page where everyone who hates fireworks (like me) can come together.

I do not have a Facebook account - I'm trying to be the very last person who signs on, lol.  But I do think he has a good idea.  The link to the page is here.

Rep. Yanez is one of the sponsors of HB 5327 to amend the law.  I counted at least eleven different bills that have been introduced in this legislative session to change the law in one form or another. But they all seem to go nowhere.  They do not even get a hearing!

People who know me and know my career in government know that when it comes to doing what is best for the people of this state, I do not follow party lines.  Which is why I am sitting here at home retired.  There are good folks out there trying to look out for the vast majority regardless of party affiliation so I do not need anyone telling me that several of these bills are sponsored by Democrats. That being said:

At least one of the bills out there would prohibit sky lanterns.  My community leaders, all Democrats, voted to ban them.  But a certain trustee running for supervisor here is defending a company in a lawsuit against a neighboring large city who also banned them, stating the city has no authority to do so.  Seems that he is more concerned with money in his pocket and money in the fireworks sellers' pockets than in the safety of the folks who pay taxes.

I signed the petition listed on the Facebook site ages ago.   I only had to call the police four times this past week.  Pretty soon I'll have talked to all the dispatchers and we'll seem like old friends.

All for a measly $4 million in revenue.

8 comments:

  1. Wait...are they STILL shooting off fireworks in your area? Because that would bug the crap out of me, too! Here it was just for a few days before and after... Fireworks were illegal without a permit in Nashville when we lived there and it didn't seem to matter. They shot them off there more than they do here, where it isn't illegal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't hear anything last night, but did have them on Sunday.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad he emailed you because it seems there are voices to stop this useless venture of so called fun. It would have stopped long ago if money was not involved. How sad that money and greed controls so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Legislators 'reasoned' that since folks were setting them off illegally, why not make it legal and make money. The fact that I heard of at least four houses being set on fire and another losing his eye this last holiday, it just goes on.

      Delete
  3. Coincidentally had an email from a friend this morning. She was baby sitting her son's dog and there were fireworks in the town. She said the dog was terrified and trembling in her arms. I remember my dogs were terrified too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son brought his dog here on the 4th cause my neighborhood was quieter.

      Delete
  4. No one is still shooting fireworks in my neighborhood. I like fireworks! But I would be annoyed too if they were still being shot close to me. I don't know if I would be annoyed enough to ban them. I might be if one burned my house down. Interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are not talking about professional shows. We are talking about individuals shooting off what sound like bombs. Nothing to see, just noise.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.