Friday, March 4, 2016

Where has the GOP from 1960 Gone?

I grew up in a Democratic household.  Everyone on both sides of the family spouted Democratic politics and in 1960 all were enamored with JFK.  One aunt even had his picture hanging on the wall, next to the Pope.

I watched both party conventions at the time and followed what was going on.  I heard a speech by Barry Goldwater and it really resonated with me.  I announced to my family that at the ripe old age of 13, I was a Republican.  Other family members would make the switch many years later - like 20.

But that Republican party that I believed in, trusted, and voted for is long gone.  Even during the years I was running for office as a Republican candidate, I watched the party promote ideas I could not abide. While my finance and economic ideas were conservative, my lifestyle ideas were much more liberal.
  
I had fully intended not to post anything about the upcoming election in Michigan next week for the presidential primary.  But after listening to the idiots commenting on the radio this morning (I saw someone refer to this as AAA - ask any a--h---), I decided to post this video which a friend suggested I watch a few days ago.  


Obviously I am no fan of the Donald.  I've even talked to some Democrats who intend to vote in the Republican primary so they can vote for anyone else but him.

18 comments:

  1. Making fun of your next President Denise? Do you think anyone can stop him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he runs against Hillary I think she will win.

      Delete
    2. I certainly hope so. Matt thinks Trump will end up close to the election saying "well that was fun" and just dropping out.

      Delete
  2. I am not allowed to see the video (in Australia). I have been watching from afar and I cannot understand how he has managed to get so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Americans love the nastiness of reality TV. Donald plays into that mentality. I wonder why we waste public money on education since the majority of voters seem to be idiots. The video talks about his failed business ventures and lawsuits. And the fact that nearly 80% of the 'facts' he touts are lies.

      Delete
    2. Sharon, have you tried going directly to ITunes to try and see the video? You might get it there and it is worth a watch.

      Delete
  3. I've heard your lament from several former Republicans. They feel that, over the years - but especially now - their party has left them. Although I am a lifelong Democrat, I also miss a sensible, intelligent debate on both sides (or, maybe we never had that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a close friend who is a Democrat. We were both in politics at the same time and we both lamented years ago that we should have started a new party for sane people. There would be at least two of us, lol.

      Delete
  4. I've always been a registered Democrat. My husband started out as a Republican (he even voted for Reagan in 1980)but now is more of a Democrat than I am! For once, our primary (April 19) will matter - and how I wish I could switch to being a Republican. Not sure if it is too late or not. We can't do it here on election day. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have open primaries in Michigan. I think that skews a lot of results.

      Delete
  5. I don't generally discuss politics on-line, but...I've been a Democrat forever, but at one time the parties had so much less animosity -- and the country, too. When I first moved to New York, we had a great Republican senator, Jacob Javits, but alas, those days seem so long ago. Mr. Trump? Were very familiar with him in New York and I would like a President that brings out the best in this country, not the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having spent your career in a political arena I am sure you are as sick of this nonsense as I am, regardless of party.

      Delete
  6. I had finally the time to watch this video and it is excellent! He hits the nail on the head and blasts forth what a ridiculous war nut he really is. I am not sure he even thought he would get this far but now he is feeling the power. This bully needs to be stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he gets elected I'm moving to Canada, lol. I have many cousins there and maybe they'd enjoy my company. Although I heard a rumor that the Canadians think a border wall is a good idea.

      Delete
    2. Didn't you know Denise, we have already started building one.

      Delete
    3. Check out the video I just posted.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.