Thursday, July 11, 2013

We need a Drone... or two

I've read three books in recent months which featured drones:  'Inferno', 'The Kill Room', and 'The Hit'.  It's like Dan Brown, Jeffery Deaver and David Baldacci all went to the same seminar. 

And I got this great idea:  What we need in West Bloomfield is a drone, or maybe two.  Drones would allow us to seek out and destroy AWFs (otherwise known as assholes with fireworks).

Again last night just before midnight some AWF was setting off fireworks.  This has been going on for a month now.  My neighbor asked me if I heard them.  Well, I am not deaf, so I guess so.  Last night I called the police.  If I was younger, I'd go sit out in the general area of the noise and wait so I could take a picture and tell the officer exactly where they are.

The good news:  Today's newspaper had a complaint from someone in a neighboring community about the noise so I guess we do not have all the AWFs living in my neighborhood.

But this is what I find really irritating on top of the noise:
Noise ordinance regulations:  Home occupant lawn, tree and landscape care. The mowing of lawn(s), blowing of refuse or leaves, removal or trimming of trees, and/or performing of other outdoor landscaping by an occupant of residential property using any gas or electric powered machine between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and between 9:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m. on Saturday, Sunday and government holidays.
The above is right out of our Township ordinances.  So let me get this straight.  On the 4th of July I cannot cut my lawn after 9:00 P.M., but I can set off fireworks until midnight.  Oh, I can also start setting them off at 8:00 in the morning while I am waiting to cut my lawn! 
Now, I know that you cannot hear my lawnmower from the next street over, but I can hear fireworks from several blocks away!  How dies this make any sense at all!!!
Well it doesn't.  When I was on the Township Board, those hours for weekends and holidays were changed because someone complained about their neighbor.  I think I voted 'no' but can't swear to it.  In my first term of office back in the 1980's a trustee wanted us to ban wind chimes.  We didn't.  But eventually this got passed:
No frozen confection vendors shall:  Utilize any bell, chime or other noise making device beyond a moderate noise level for the purpose of attracting persons to buy the frozen confection.  (Think 'Good Humor')
So, we find the ice cream guy offensive to our peace of mind, but not the AWFs. 
I can tell you right now that the quality of life in my community is in the toilet.  There is no way the local police force can track down these AWFs, since they make noise for five minutes, then run and hide and come back thirty minutes later and do it again.  We need drones.  Lots of them.  I'll even volunteer to stay up and man the device.  Shucks, I learned a whole lot in just a few short months of reading the latest popular fiction.
Here is a card posted by one of my blogging buddies:

3 comments:

  1. Must be driving you gaga, it would me, not to mention all the animals that are continuously being frightened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How strange, Denise. Wind chimes aren't allowed, but AWF are allowed free rein.

    I agree. These guys just have too much money to burn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, unbelievable, it is July 12th! And, what you are talking this happened on July 10th and have you been dealing with firework issues, (I loved your Acronym (AWF)) for over a month now? UNREASONABLE. You shouldn't have to at all but I think we all kind of deal with stuff for a day or two around the Fourth of July even though we know it is wrong. Your cops should be working a tad harder to root out the problem. Sometimes I don't realize how lucky I am, we don't have issues with lawn mowers,blowers and windchimes. Not sure if I live in an area that has some common sense or just lucky (going with lucky and gonna knock on wood) but you are one very patient lady.

    Lucy from Lucy's Reality

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.