Sunday, June 2, 2013

Another Liebster

I have had the honor of receiving another Liebster Award.  This one comes from 'Just Ermie' in Hove, UK, just west of Brighton in the south of England.  I met Ermie during the A to Z Challenge and thoroughly enjoyed her travels.  My many thanks to her for the nomination and I gladly accept.

So, as before, I need to do several things:  tell you 11 unknown facts about me,  answer Ermie's 11 questions, nominate 11 other blogs, and ask them 11 questions.  This is a little harder the second time around.

11 UNKNOWN FACTS ABOUT ME (anything left?)

1.  I was Student Council Secretary in Eighth Grade.  This is something even I didn't remember until I looked at an old scrapbook.
2.  I won two spelling bees in school and still have the dictionaries I was awarded.
3.  I love old westerns.  Heck, I love new westerns.  Just discovered 'Longmire' on A&E. 
4.  I've read all the Harry Potter books.  More than once.  And I own all of the DVDs.
5.  Deep down I am an introvert.
6.  The most exhilarating thing I have ever done was take a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon.
7.  The craziest thing I've done was to take a jet-boat tour through the Niagara River rapids.  (my 16-year old son's idea.  We had to sign a waiver and he wanted to know if I had life insurance.  Like he could benefit if we are both in the boat.  Duh.)
8.  I have Dennis Rodman's autograph on the back of one of my business cards.  (He was eating lunch at the next table in Olga's Restaurant.)
9.  I was a complete tomboy growing up, though I may have mentioned that before. 
10.  I laid the tile floor around my fireplace.  It helped that I grew up in a family of tile-setters.
11.  I once considered studying journalism.  Instead I entered politics as my second career.  Go figure.

11 QUESTIONS TO BE ANSWERED

1. If you could travel back in time, where and when would you go?
I've watched The Doctor travel back in time to all sorts of places, but have yet to say 'OH, I'd like to go there'.  But, the first place that popped into my head when asked was 'ancient Greece'.  I, of course, would be a goddess.
2. What is your greatest undiscovered talent?
Discovered as a child, but abandoned as an adult, my singing voice.
3. What is your biggest D.I.Y. failure?
Failure?  Not a word in my vocabulary.  I just don't tackle any DYI projects I don't think I can handle.  That's what handymen are for.
4. What is your favourite book of all time?
"Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand
5. If you could be a famous literary character, who would you be?
Scarlett O'Hara.  Yes, I know she is a bitch, but she is a bitch I enjoy.
6. What is your most extravagant purchase?
A 1993 Jaguar Sedan.  Also my worst nightmare ever.  After six months of problems, I actually sat in the dealership and cried.
7.  What is the kindest thing you have ever done?
Picked up a woman, her baby and her stroller, in the rain, and drove them home.  Yes, I know there could have been a man hiding in the bushes, but there wasn't.
8. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live?
Paris, France
9. If you could do any job you wanted, what would you do?
Job?  I'm retired.  Why would I want a job? 
10. What is the best thing about being you?
See number 9.
11. If you could change one event in history, what would it be?
The armistice agreement after World War I that set the world up for World War II.

MY NOMINEES

1.  Buttercup Counts Her Blessings - a new retiree, I can't wait to see what Buttercup discovers in her new life
2.  CommonweederA gardening blog I've come to enjoy
3.  Serenity in the Garden -  Another gardening blog.  I see a pattern here.
4.  Esther's Boring Garden Blog - Gardening in England
5.  Strong Foundations -  I've learned a lot about genealogy from Sharon's blog
6.  Delightfully Ludicrous - The title says it all
7.  My Life as Lynn Proctor - Enjoyable read with every post
8.  a day in the life of patootie - A wonderful author living in Michigan
9.  Pensuasion - She went to Hogwarts in Florida and I am so-o-o jealous
10.  A few drops of ink - Beautiful writings from a blogger in India.  Be sure to check out her A-Z posts in April.
11.  Rex Parker - I began reading this blog long before I ever thought of writing my own.  If you do the NYT crossword puzzles, you probably already have found this blog.  I love it.

And now, MY QUESTIONS for those who accept the award

1.  If you could receive any award in the world, what would it be? 
2.  If you could run for any election and win, what would you run for? 
3.  Assuming it is raining for days on end and you are stuck at home, what would you do to wile away the time?
4.  Describe yourself in one word.
5.  What is the most fun you have ever had?  (keep it clean)
6.  What place to visit is number one on your bucket list?
7.  What food is your 'guilty pleasure'?
8.  If you could be a character in someone's novel, which author (living or dead) would you choose?
9.  The beach or the mountains for vacation?
10.  If you could own any car, what would you drive?
11.  I stated in a previous blog that if I won the lottery I would buy an Aston Martin DB9 (I'm drooling right now).  What would you 'splurge' on if you won the lottery?

And there you have it.  More than you wanted to ever know about me and less than I want to know about my nominees.   BTW, my birthday is 11/11 so I kinda like the 11 theme.

Here is the award: 

7 comments:

  1. Ah, you are so lucky you are just an introvert. I happen to think that can be a very good thing BUT I happen to be a SHY introvert and those two things don't go together all that well. Anyway, I would love to be Scarlett O'Hara. I have seen the movie a gazillion times and now I am getting ready to read the novel, never read it, and I can't wait. My major was in Political Science, I love to study politics but being a shy introvert I could never get involved, nope, just like to examine it and watch from afar.

    Lucy from Lucy's Reality

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, I am honoured to receive this award from you. I shall certainly answer these questions and pay it forward. Hope you are doing fine. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I will try to do this during the week. The questions are fun. I put hot air ballooning in the same category as your rapids trip. I don't do events any more where they ask about my insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so now I have this vision of you in ancient Greece wearing a pair of curtains that you made your slave girl turn into a toga for you! Denise, Greek goddess of the Fiddle -dee-dee? :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.