Sunday, February 19, 2012

Linens and Me

One of the bloggers I follow, Buttercup, had a no-spending January.  I thought it was a cool idea.  I am not much of a shopper.  I am generally a 'buy what I need' kinda person.

Doing my Christmas shopping, I drove all the way to the mall, picked up the one item I wanted, and left.  I had no desire to roam and look for bargains.  I have never gone to the Black Friday sales.  Not even the online version.  I always figure I will could end up spending money on stuff I really didn't need.

I missed all of the January 'White Sales' and am now seeing all the ads for the President's Day sales, which I will likely also skip.

But I was thinking about the sales of linens and such things as I was cleaning up my bedroom and bath this morning.  I have very plain towels in my bath.  No lace, embroidery, fancy trim or whatever.  I figure that I shower, dry off, and throw the towel in the laundry.  Do I really care what it looks like?  I think not.  But when I go into the linen stores, I see all sorts of fancy towels at ridiculous prices and wonder if people are giving 'bathroom tours'.  OK, maybe for a guest bath.  For show.  But for everyday?

That being said, I do like to have my bed made and I enjoy walking in and seeing it look nice.  When I was married, my bed was never made.  I left for work before my husband did and by the time I got home and made dinner and did what needed to be done each day I was ready to fall into it, not make it up.

But when I was married we had the 'sheet' issue.  He insisted on 'no flowers' in the bedroom.  One of the first things I did when we split was to buy sheets with ivy vines on them.  I have a friend who said she did the same thing when she left her husband.  The other night I was watching a program where a woman found out her husband had been cheating on her and he was lying in a hospital after being shot.  She went home, stripped the bed, got out the flowered linens and put them on the bed.  I couldn't help but laugh.

But guess what?  I am back to plain sheets.  I sleep with my eyes closed and in the dark so I am not likely to really notice.  Of course, this was the argument I used to use for having flowered sheets.

But I am still wondering what the attraction is for decorated bath towels.  OK, they look nice.  But I would rather spend the money on something really useful.  That's just me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Denise,

    Generally I'm a plain towel person, but had a craving for decorated hand towels. I used a gift card this summer and bought two sets and have been enjoying them. I don't "save" them and the sea shells look great in my bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I do have fancy hand towels in the powder room to match the accessories.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.