Sunday, January 15, 2012

Smart Meters, Not so Smart People

One of the best things about no longer being an elected official is being able to say exactly what I am thinking. 

Years ago, Detroit Edison wanted to build a substation on property it had owned long before the area was developed.  Anyone with two eyes could see the tall transmission lines running along the train tracks and some investigative work at Town Hall would have shown the property north of those lines as being owned by the utility.

Yet when the time came for the substation to be built, the people who now lived in the area were up in arms about Electromagnetic Frequencies (EMFs).  I finally asked one of the protesters why she bought a house with a huge transmission line in the back yard and she said she never noticed it.  Duh?  I wanted to tell her she was a giant dumb-a--, but had to resist.

In the end, the utility prevailed, but not without the then Township Supervisor being defeated in the next election, even though she only did what the law allowed and required her to do.

I thought this whole EMF issue had been put to bed, but now we have people railing against the installation of Smart Meters outside their homes.  One man said he did not want the utility monitoring his usage and knowing when he took a shower.  Huh?   Who would care?  And the issue is not confined to Michigan.  Just do a 'google' search.

So now we have communities banning any further installations of the meters.  Here is an idea folks:  Don't like the meters?  Go off the grid.  Get rid of all your electronic devices, save money, and read and cook like our ancestors did - by candlelight and fire.

I am sure we are all living in the 'Land of Fruits and Nuts'.  Recently I was watching a program on one of the Discovery channels.  They were in a town in New Mexico that is popular with all the UFO and conspiracy folks.  One of the people they interviewed was telling how the US government controls the weather from one of its military installations there.  (When my husband worked in the defense industry he used to go to White Sands for 'missile' testing.  Or so he said.   lol)  Another insisted they were spying on everyone and controlling our behavior.  Right.

Last year I had a smart meter placed on my home.  I was delighted that the meter readers would no longer be trampling through my yard.  I have not noticed any sleep disorders, headaches, or mysterious levitation of objects.  But I'll keep watching and let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.