Saturday, May 28, 2011

Politically Correct?

Those of you who read this on a regular basis may have decided that I am not 'politically correct' in my blogging.  Well, I am only making up for lost time as a politician who had to be 'PC' on camera.

Believe me when I say I had to hold my tongue on many occasions.  Even now I find it hard to believe that I actually heard some of the things I did while on the Township Board.

My favorite 'You've got to be joking' comment came during an appeal to our board from a homeowner who wanted to put a fence across the front of his property to keep out the 'looky-loos'.  Those are the people who drive up and stop and stare at your home.  The more adventurous and complete asses come up and knock on your door.  (My friend Mary says folks do this also in Oak Park, IL and ask to see the interior of the historic homes there.)

So, here was someone who was well-known in the sports world and people were, indeed, stopping by and hoping for a 'Kodak moment'.  One gentlemen (I used the term lightly) got up and said we should not allow the fences along that road because he wanted to be able to see what the homes looked like.  HUH?  I wanted to ask him what right he thought he had to invade someones privacy, but of course, I had to be PC.

Personally, I like the style of housing I saw in Melbourne, Australia.  Walk down a street and see fences all around the house with no view whatsoever.  In West Bloomfield this would mean that I would not see the grass growing a foot tall across the street, nor the weeds next door. 

When the Parks Department wanted to build their sports complex on Drake Road, one condo resident said he feared that basketball courts would attract 'those people' to his neighborhood.  My sons all played basketball in our drive, but I was pretty sure they were not who he was referring to.  Again, none of us told him what an ass he was. 

Once I had someone call me on the phone once and tell me he was moving out of West Bloomfield because I had allowed all of 'those people' to move into his neighborhood.  I told him I did not know exactly who 'those people' were, but that I was glad that he was leaving.

Now, removed from public office, I call it as I see it.  I mean no offense to anyone.  Just pointing out the facts.  As they used to say on the playground, 'If you don't like it, you can lump it'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.