Thursday, December 27, 2018

A Throwback Cookie Recipe

I did not do my usual dozens upon dozens of  cookies this year.  I made the snickerdoodles and chewy molasses cookies from previous years, but I made two I had not made for Christmas before.  Yesterday I posted the recipe for the cherry oatmeal and today I am posting a recipe for Jam Thumbprints.  My mother made these cookies at holiday time, but I do not remember ever making them myself.

I saved lots of old recipes and I found this recipe in a small insert of Christmas cookies from the Ladies Home Journal in 1980.  I only made half the recipe as I no longer give cookie trays away and I do not need to eat cookies for breakfast, even if they do have fruit in them.  Here is a picture with the cookies on the top and the recipe.

Raspberry Thumbprints
Adapted from the Ladies Home Journal
December, 1980

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup raspberry preserves

Directions:
1.  Cream butter and sugar in large bowl of electric mixer (or use hand mixer) until light and fluffy.
2.  Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
3.  Gradually add flour and salt on low speed until well-blended.  Refrigerate dough for at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 350 F if baking on same day.

Work with only 1/4 dough at a time, keeping the remaining refrigerated.  Use a small scoop to make 1-inch balls.  Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet two inches apart.  Using the end of a wooden spoon, make a small indentation in each cookie.  NOTE:  At this point the cookies may be frozen on the tray and then placed in a freezer bag for baking at a later time. 

Keep cookies on trays refrigerated while preparing the rest of the dough, or bake each tray as you complete it, baking only one tray at a time.

Bake cookies for ten minutes.  Remove from oven and make depression with spoon or thumb again.  Fill each depression with 1/4 tsp of jam or preserves.  Return to oven and bake for another 5-7 minutes.  Do not over bake or brown.  Remove from oven and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.  Cool on rack and sprinkle with sugar again once cooled.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies.  The recipe is easily cut in half.

7 comments:

  1. Those look delicious, Denise! Sadly, I didn't inherit my mother's baking gene, but am always happy to sample someone else's cookies. ☺ At this point though, we are starting to crave more nutritious fare as well. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never made cookies, but I do enjoy sampling as well. I used to bake but not cookies for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good. I like cake and I like pie, but give me a cookie anytime. Wishing you a very happy and healthy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too made cookies this year fir the first time in many years and only made a single batch of each for the same reasons you mentioned, Denise. My two were also traditional...chocolate chip and peanut butter. Yours looked wonderfully delicious. Doesn’t everyone eat cookies for breakfast at the holidays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even my yoga teacher has cookies for breakfast😁

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.