Sunday, August 19, 2018

Trash to Treasure?

I have been gone from the blogosphere for nearly a month.  To be perfectly honest, I really haven't missed it - the blogging part, that is.  I am behind on reading posts, so sorry for that.  But I have been busy.

You may remember that I have been trying to get rid of  'stuff'.  I had NO luck selling any of my hats on line, but I did sell a few items of jewelry and some large silk trees that I had.  I then contacted a gentleman who has a business buying stuff to sell on eBay.  I learned quite a bit from him. 

Only about 25% of what is listed there is actually sold.  And outrageous prices are rarely received.  He told me that last year he sold over $200,000 in items on eBay.  But when all expenses and taxes were paid he made only $18,000.  He did buy some of my porcelains and even an old saxophone and we came to a decent agreement on price.

So, the rest of my stuff, which I have been setting aside since the first of the year, went into a three-day garage sale.  Ugh.  Never again.  Yes, I made some money.  But when all was sold and done, it was a heck of a lot of work for the monetary reward.

OTOH, I met some very interesting people.  And one disgusting one.

See anything of interest in this photo?


Well, I sold the suitcase to a very nice nurse who also spent time walking through the garden.  We shared our horror stories of the deer.  I have had sedum and irises eaten this year.  She has lost black-eyed Susans.  All of these flowers are supposed to be deer-resistant.  But the lack of rain means that they are trying to get moisture wherever and however they can. 

I also sold several of my hats.  One young woman from Jamaica bought four of them.  She actually came here twice.  She also bought two of my old Bibles.  She was thrilled.

And that old 1970's sewing machine in the top right corner?  I sold it to a man along with the sewing box and all the attachments.  That was on Thursday.  On Friday, a woman showed up and asked where it was.  I asked if she had come by earlier and she said she saw the picture on Craigslist.  She was very disappointed to see it sold.  Said that it was one of the best old machines ever.  Who knew? 

There was a woman who was excited to find a bookmark with the letter 'D' on it.   She said her name was Denise.  What are the odds?  We talked for a while and she told me that her daughter had been invited to the private funeral for Aretha Franklin and told her that she was going as the 'plus one.'  She was thrilled.  We shared some Aretha stories. 

There was a spry 82-year old who bought all of my little jars left from the days when I would give homemade marshmallows and hot chocolate as Christmas gifts.  She moved here from Illinois a few years ago to be close to her children - I never did ask how they all ended up in Michigan.  She apologized for rambling on - she was delightful - but said she hadn't spoken to anyone all day.  She was soon followed by another senior who said the worst part of living alone is that she sometimes gets lonely.  It makes one think about the real need for some sort of social connection, especially as we age.

Several folks asked if my home was for sale.  I directed them to three other homes in the area that are ranches.  One-story living really is great when you get older.  I can thank my ex for making that decision when we first bought a house.

And then there was the one obnoxious woman.  She bought some items so maybe I shouldn't complain, but I wanted to kick her down the driveway.  Once she had her purchases, she asked if I had a box.  Well, I had been saving boxes and bags for this event.  So, I grabbed a box.  She looked at it and said "Oh, f---ing Amazon.  People on there buying stuff they don't need.  I wish they'd go out of business."  This from a woman at a garage sale.  An obvious trumpite.  I couldn't wait to see the backside of her (which was quite large, BTW).

So, I made a little money.  I joked to my kids last night that I think I made maybe 50 cents an hour when you factor in all the time it took to prepare and run the sale.  We still have some items listed online.  As a matter of fact, before they even left yesterday someone had bought one of the car seats that still had some time left before it expires.  Yes, car seats expire due to wear and tear on the belts and plastic.  You cannot donate them.

I have scheduled Purple Heart to come and pick up several items.  There is another pile to take to the Salvation Army store.  I am off to the library today to donate CDs, DVDs and books.  Even with all that I have gotten rid of, we still have a ways to go.  The consignment guy who was here was interested in several of my porcelains, but that is for the future.  And likely for my kids to deal with.

In the end, it was all worth it just to meet so many interesting people.  And to be able to see the floor in my office and spare bedroom again.

20 comments:

  1. You may not have missed us, but we missed you. Interesting what you sold to people. I have stuff I need to sell too. Where did you sell your jewellery? Interesting about eBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sold a couple of pieces on eBay. Most was sold in the garage sale. I did have a dealer come to the sale looking for gold jewelry, but I had sold that to another dealer years ago.

      Delete
  2. You had a lot of things you were getting rid of! Fascinating stories too of the people who came to your sale. I think that's the best part of garage sales. People watching and talking to them.

    I always look at garage sales as the philosophy I'm getting some money for people taking things I no longer want and I don't have to haul them away to Goodwill, etc. I always price things really low just to get rid of them, except for when we were downsizing hubby's parents' things and they had a lot of nice things. Then I priced those reasonably well. I usually have sold 90% of what I have out for a sell.

    I probably won't have another sale as we don't have that much these days except if hubby passes before me. He is the collector of things; I'm really minimal with what I have. Otherwise every few months I just gather up what we haven't used and donate it somewhere.

    In the good old days when CDs, DVDs, books were more popular than these days with streaming movies, etc., I sold a lot of things on Amazon. Made a lot of money but I don't think those days are too plentiful these days.

    That was interesting about talking with the man who sold on eBay. My sister-in-law does that, not sure how much these days, but she would go to garage sales, knew what people were looking for on eBay, and if she found something would buy it, put it on eBay, etc. It was more of a hobby for her than I think a money making thing.

    Enjoy your empty parts of your house! I always think it is great to downsize like this. You are really doing a service for your kids for when the time comes and they'll have to dispose of things (way in the future). It was a nightmare getting rid of hubby's parents' things. Took us literally 4 years, horrific story, and caused a lot of stress and strife. Won't do that for my kids.

    Did miss you!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often wonder what happens to folks who suddenly stop blogging. I had already mentioned my Ancestry search and am still busy trying to sort out my ex's family. My kids will still have a lot to get rid of someday, but I know several folks who had to deal with the nightmare. I'm doing my best to avoid some of it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Denise - yes ... I too don't like doing this sort of thing and usually just take the stuff to a local hospice, and various charity shops ... but if something's worth while I give it to a specific hospice/church to get some cash ... so you were more adventurous than me. Well done though - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been donating forever it seems. In my 46 years in this home, this was my fourth garage sale. Pretty sure I sill just keep giving stuff away. Just gave several nice items to a neighbor for her church's auction.

      Delete
  4. I hope you haven't got rid of golden jewelery. I know you live in the great, rich America, but one never knows. Even in America one might have to give/sell a golden ring for a loaf of bread. Look at Venezuela - once, one of the richest oil producers in the world; America's debt , by the way, is unimaginable.

    I remember when Obama was elected, he started his presidency with the demand (almost ultimatum) that the ceiling of the debt be raised). I was utterly shocked. I was always taught that debt has to be returned immediately, certainly not expanded. Since then, although I'm jewish, I dislike the jews at the Fed (Barnenki, Fisher, Yelen etc..) for helping american presidents cheat their people, making them believe everything is under control, when nothing really is under control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think the whole world is out of control.

      Delete
  5. Hi Denise! Missed you, but I figured you were doing this. Ah, the wretched yard sale. Been there, too, and it can be miserable. That you did it for three days is remarkable.
    I think you’re right to use different methods. I’m still getting rid of stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And on Saturday a woman asked if I was still open on Sunday. The Township limits you to two sales a year of three days each. And I have one every ten years, lol.

      Delete
  6. At least you met some interesting people. I've often thought of having a garage sale, but the amount of effort involved for the meagre return just doesn't seem worth it. We donate a lot of stuff. Those travel bags would come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just came back from dropping off a trunk load at the Salvation Army. Yes, it is a lot of work.

      Delete
  7. Good to see you back! I have actually been thinking about taking some time away from blogging so I can concentrate on getting rid of stuff. I agree that the monetary gain is questionable after all is said and done, but I also like to get items I no longer want into the hands of someone who appreciates them. Do you have a Buy Nothing site in your neighborhood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a Nextdoor site where you can list stuff.

      Delete
  8. I love having garage sales. Haven't had one for years. There are so much work though. But at least you make a little money. And have stories for your blog! So win! Win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a ton of work, but you make a lot of folks happy. Better than throwing stuff in the trash.

      Delete
  9. I am so done with garage sales. I had to do so many with my mom since she had tons of stuff. The last time I did one was in 2001...never again. I am glad you got rid of stuff and made some money. You meet many nice people but there are those few that you just want to punch and see them soar through the air and out of sight. I was wondering about your garden. I would like to see some pics when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden this year was less than spectacular. It was just too hot and dry. The rain finally came yesterday, but too late for this year. I was looking at some old pics and some flowers that were large and colorful last year are less than mediocre this year. I am ready to cut everything down for the season.

      Delete
  10. Ugh! I don't think ANY garage sale is worth it... We had two, and that was enough for me. Now we take all our stuff to The Boys & Girl Club or to Restore (Habitat for Humanity). Garage sales are so much work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made two trips to the Salvation Army and have one more to make. The worst part is I have barely made a dent in stuff to get rid of. The Restore shop here told me they only want furniture that looks 'new'. Okay. My stuff goes to Purple Heart then.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.