Saturday, June 2, 2018

The Great American Read

Are you an avid reader?  I love to read and really missed it when I was working.  Then, I had little time to read or watch television.  Until I was laid up for weeks with a broken leg in 2007, I'd had little chance to just sit in front of the television.  I caught up on all sorts of movies and TV shows when my son gave me a Netflix subscription.

Now, in retirement, I have time to read and pick up books from the library drive-up window.  I have my Kindle with books on it.  Plus the library has all sorts of ebooks.  I have read with great abandon.

This year I am trying to finish all the Ruth Rendell novels, though I have had to put down a few that I just couldn't get into.

When the library sent me a notice about the Great American Read on PBS, I had to watch.  So many books, so little time.

Over many years I cannot even remember all the books I have read.  When they started going through the list of the top 100 books, I sometimes wondered if I had read the book, all or in part, or had just heard about it.  Or seen the movie, lol.

The idea is that you can vote for your favorite book 'early and often', just like in a great American city that I will not name, lol.  I, myself, am doing what is known as 'plunking'.  That means that I only vote for one book that is really my favorite, lest my vote for another book works against it at the same time.  Anyway, I also do it when I want someone to win an election out of a large field where I can vote for several candidates but really only want to make sure one of them wins.

My choice for my favorite book is J R R Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy.  I figured I needed to vote for a book or series that I had read more than once, wanted to read again, and 'just how many times have I watched the movies?'.



Some of my long time followers may remember that in 2016 I featured books in my bookcase for the A to Z Challenge.  L was Lord of the Rings.  In 2015 I featured a person or place from the books.  Choosing this book is a no brainer for me.

How about you?  I have given the link to the list of books.  I am considering going through them on this blog in groups of ten and talking about them.  I have not read all of them.  Many I have never even heard of before the show aired.  Some I have started and just could not get into.  And some from my youth I have foggy memories when  I wonder 'did I read it all?' or 'at all?'.

Happy reading!

6 comments:

  1. I love reading and recently discovered our library's ability to check out ebooks so now I'm in 7th heaven! I read while exercising on the treadmill so its a win-win situation. I'll have to check out that link. I know I've read a lot of books over the years, but I know I haven't read a lot of the classics, for instance, I haven't read Jean Eyre. Might have to rectify that sometime soon.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have not read alot of the classics. As a science and math major, English lit was not required.

      Delete
  2. As an English major in college, I had to read a lot. Funny, though, how some books remain while many others are forgettable. When I do read, I try to balance between an easy escape and something more literary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did NOT know some libraries have drive-up windows. That's amazing. But I do love browsing. LOTR is my favorite, too. Top five: LOTR, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Book Thief, Persuasion, and The Doomsday Book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drive-up is very convenient. We have a bestsellers list that you can sign up on. They reserve new books by your favorite authors and email you when they are ready for pick-up. And you can request books online for pick-up. Plus the statewide exchange system for books they do not have is really great cause some library somewhere will surely have what you want to read. And you just drive-up to the window.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.