Saturday, June 9, 2018

June 9 Florence, Italy

While I seem to be doing better, Shar is worse and is unable to go out, so I am on my own today.  My first stop is to a pharmacy to describe her symptoms and get some medication for her.  Amazing how we were able to get medicine from a pharmacist in Italy when we would have to have a physician prescribe it here.

While I was out I bought a tie for my father, Italian silk, and then returned to the hotel with the meds.

On my next trip out I went to the Piazza della Signoria.  Our hotel was near the Ponte Vecchio so everything was pretty close by.   I visited the 14th century Palazzo Vecchio.
Piazza Signoria - Firenze
By Zolli [CC BY-SA 3.0], from Wikimedia Commons
The Little Studio of Francesco I was 'fantastic'.  Or so I said.  See for yourself below
Vista del Studiolo de Francisco I

The palazzo now serves as the Town Hall of the city.  A far cry from the Town Hall I worked in. 
I climbed to the top of the tower, of course. 
The plaza has a copy of the statue of David, along with other works.
MichelangeloDavid
By Massimo Catarinella [CC BY-SA 3.0], from Wikimedia Commons

I was more impressed with the statues in the Loggia.  Perseus with the Head of Medusa stares straight at David.
PerseusSignoriaStatue

The sculpture I remember best is The Rape of the Sabine Women.
Giambologna sabine
Thermos assumed (based on copyright claims). [CC BY-SA 2.5], via Wikimedia Commons

I saw the Fountain of Neptune.
Fountain of Neptune
By Davide Taviani (Flickr) [CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

I must say that Italy had some exquisite fountains.  I spent the rest of the afternoon window shopping.

I spent $5.08.  Cheap tie I guess.

10 comments:

  1. Everywhere you look, there’s something magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something really special about Italy, and Florence is the icing on the cake! Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Florence was definitely my favorite city in Italy.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful statues - a funny, there is a Deli shop here called David's and they have a large copy of "David" in the store. Been there for years. Last time I went in, the statue was wearing a long scarf which discreetly covered its genitals. I presume some idiots had complained. What would they do if they went to Florence I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! Can't wait to see it for myself. ☺ I hope your friend recovered quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those fountains would be interesting to see in person.

    betty

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.