Saturday, June 23, 2018

June 23, 1969 Athens, Greece

We went shopping.  I am assuming we walked around the city, but my diary only talks about shopping.  So, I will tell you that I bought a cotton dress, slit up the side and ten inches above the knees.  It was blue with gold trim.  I bought another dress too, though I do not remember that one and I bought a belt which I had until a few years ago.  And that is all I wrote about the day.

I do remember having wonderful meals up on the roof at the restaurant.  Having spent two years working in the Greektown area of Detroit, I was enthused to be eating Greek food in Greece. 

My expenses to day were high because I also purchased a ticket for another boat ride.  Total today is $99.23.


10 comments:

  1. Moussaka, spanakopita, stiffado, baklava - my mouth's watering at the the thought of Greek food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking of pastitsio since I started writing about Greece. Fortunately, even if I don't feel like cooking, there is a great Greek restaurant with shouting distance of my home.

      Delete
  2. Greece was cheap when I was there (1979). I think our room was about $6/night, right on the water on the isle of Corfu. We went to the same taverna every evening, and the owner/Cook brought us into the kitchen (!), lifted the lids and let us point to what we wanted. Ten-cent shots of ouzo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owner of the hotel was wonderful. He asked us to keep in touch, which I never did. Other than wine, we were not much for drinking.

      Delete
  3. I love enter from old diaries. It gives us anther take on history.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to a Greek restaurant here and they had a different take on the "come into the kitchen" idea, with a bar with everything on/in it that was available that night. Only time I ever ate goat. I loved Greece and discovered skordalia in Athens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the hospital we had several techs from the Philippines. When we would have pot lucks, they often brought goat. Something I have never made.

      Delete
  5. I had to remember your trip was back in 1969, when I saw 10 inches above the knee, I had to remember mini skirts, etc., were the fashion back then :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were. Not sure if I wore the dress when I got back hone.

      Delete
  6. I notice a small theme..shopping! Hahahaa. Would love to see. Pic of you in this dress.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.