Sunday, June 10, 2018

June 10, 1969 Florence, Italy

Our attempts to make up for lost time have proved futile as we are staying here in Florence while Shar recovers.  Our schedule says Rome, but it will have to wait.

Shar and I head out today to see the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, the Baptistery, and Giotto's Tower. And yes, we climbed to the top of this one too.
Florence Duomo from Michelangelo hill
By Petar Milošević [CC BY-SA 4.0], from Wikimedia Commons
Begun in the late 13th century, I think it is one of the most beautiful cathedrals I have ever seen.  I was especially impressed with the doors on the baptistery.
Façade cathédrale Florence
Facade of the cathedral.

Leaving the cathedral area we went to visit the Medici-Riccardi Palace and visited the Medici Chapels.
Cappella dei magi, scarsella 01
[CC BY 3.0], from Wikimedia Commons

From there it was over to the Florence Art Museum, the Accademia , to see Michelangelo's "David" , not the replica I saw earlier.  It was very impressive along with the other sculptures.

The rest of the day we spent just walking around.

Expenses totaled $5.28.

9 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't have a pedometer (if they even made them back then) to count how many steps you daily walked :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, I climbed the Duomo, too! Wasn’t that something? I remember holding on to the rope in that narrow winding staircase on the way up. But the view from the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever been back to any of these place Denise? It certainly seems to be a beautiful city. Did you ever discover what was wrong with Shar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back to Paris for a vacation in 1999. Shar had a virus of some sort. Which is why we stayed in Florence a few extra days.

      Delete
  4. Shame about Shar being unwelll but every cloud has a silver lining and you had some extra time in Bella Florence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selfish me, I know. But I have always told people that if you are going to get stuck in a city, you couldn't choose a better place than Florence.

      Delete
  5. Bucket List!!I am dreaming now:)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.