Sunday, May 6, 2018

May 6, 1969 London, England

First line in the diary for today: "Awoke and had breakfast in the hotel".  Funny how food was on my mind even way back then.  And the next thing on my mind?  The weather.  Seems it was raining.  Oh, right.  It was spring and I was in London.

We started walking from our hotel and got as far as Hyde Park when we decided to get out of the rain and take the subway to the British Museum - where I noted that we saw the Magna Carta.
British Museum from NE 2
By Ham [GFDL, CC-BY-SA-3.0 or CC BY-SA 2.5 ], from Wikimedia Commons

After all these years I still remember walking up those stairs.  And there is a reason.  Before my friend Sharlene and I left to go on our trip she wanted to visit a psychic.  So we went to this woman who told us that she saw lots of steps in our future.  As you read through this accounting of our trip you will see that she was absolutely right.

Leaving the museum we then went to see the Tower of London.
The-Tower-of-London-2004
Thomas Bredel via Wikimedia Commons

We saw the crown jewels and the execution site of Anne Boleyn.  The good and the gory.
From there we went to Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum.  Somehow I have totally forgotten that but the diary says I enjoyed the Chamber of Horrors.  More gory stuff.

Back at our hotel we discovered that our room had sprung a leak in the ceiling.  Management blamed it on those 'Americans and their baths'.

I will mention at this point that I traveled with one large suitcase.  I brought only three dresses to  Europe.  Well, 1969, women were not wearing a lot of slacks were they?  I also brought a raincoat that could double as a robe.  Everything was hand washable.  Also in the suitcase were several rolls of toilet paper.  More about that later, lol.

Total expenses: $6.37

17 comments:

  1. Wonder if that is common for the psychic to say lots of stairs in people's future, considering they were sightseeing etc. One large suitcase for your entire time there! Wow, you packed light I think!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but she had no idea we were going on a trip!

      Delete
  2. It's always fun to read about peoples visits to places I know so well! Where next I wonder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this is a whirlwind tour so we only hit the highlights. Take a guess.

      Delete
  3. Denise, if you packed dresses, I’m guessing you also packed stockings, shoes, etc. No jeans and sneakers!
    When I left for Switzerland in 1978, I didn’t pack any jeans, because I had read that Europeans dressed better. After two weeks, I wrote home and asked my parents to send me my jeans! My dad shipped them by boat to save money, so I got them six weeks later ๐Ÿ˜‰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I packed one pair of shoes to go with everything. Must have packed pantyhose too, lol. I have never owned a pair of jeans.

      Delete
  4. Like you Denise, I have never worn jeans. I am not sure how but we knew somebody who got us into the tower to see the Ceremony of the Keys. Gather very few see that. It's when they are locking everything up at night. We then had cocktails!! I am guessing The Tate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We rarely went out at night as we were so exhausted running around all day.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I attended the Ceremony of the Keys! It was so memorable.
      “Who goes there?”
      “The keys!”
      “Whose keys?”
      “Her Majesty’s keys!”
      ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ฅ๓ ฎ๓ ง๓ ฟ ๐Ÿ”‘ ๐Ÿ‘‘

      Delete
  5. You certainly packed light, but I remember that back in 1969 dresses were very short so they would not have taken up much room in the suitcase!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it interesting what psychics see??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos brought back a lot of memories for me. Thanks! Wish I had your knack for packing light, though. Lots of stairs in Europe are pretty much a given. ☺ Looking forward to your next entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did three weeks with a carryon a few years ago. But the suitcase I took in 1969 was pretty big even with limited clothes. I had to cart around anything I purchased.

      Delete
  8. You sound like quite the experienced traveler! Any suggestions for packing for a 15-day cruise? Were you not into gory stuff at that age?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I liked the Chamber of Horrors I must have been into gory. I went on a one-week cruise and pack the largest suitcase I could find. But that is because I needed so many formal outfits.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.