Friday, May 25, 2018

May 25, 1969 Seville, Spain

We left Torremolinos by train in the morning and arrived here at 1:30 p.m.  We walked from the train station to the Plaza de Espana and the Plaza de America.  The plazas were built for the Ibero-American Exposition of 1929.  Again these are buildings that I well remember.
Spain Andalusia Seville BW 2015-10-23 15-35-15
Berthold Werner [CC BY-SA 3.0], from Wikimedia Commons Plaza de Espana

Plaza de España in the Maria Luisa Park, Seville Spain- VIII
By Komal.tujare [CC BY-SA 3.0 es], from Wikimedia Commons
Plaza de España - Sevilla
By Manuel Muñoz Plá [CC BY-SA 3.0 es], from Wikimedia Commons

Since I am also blogging about Star Wars costumes, I can tell you that the building was used as a location for Episode II - Attack of the Clones.  It exists in the City of Theed on the planet of Naboo.

Expo sevilla 1929 poster

We walked all around the park and into the neighborhood of Santa Cruz. the main tourist area.  It is home to the Seville Cathedral, where we ran into the woman we met on the train to Malaga.  We went shopping with her and then went off to tour the cathedral on our own.  The cathedral took 200 years to build and was completed in the early 16th century.
Sevilla Cathedral - Southeast
By Ingo Mehling [CC BY-SA 4.0], from Wikimedia Commons
We walked up to the top of the Giralda Tower (steps again) at 345 feet.  I am pretty sure we walked through the Alcazar Palace, though my diary makes no mention of it. 

I did mention that Shar and I took a carriage ride.  We also agreed to speak English with two young Spaniards who kept pestering us.  With the day and the hour getting late, we boarded the train to go back to Madrid.

Today's expenses are lumped in with tomorrow's.

7 comments:

  1. I can see why it would take that cathedral 200 years to be built! Gorgeous! Interesting fact about the location of one of the Star Wars movies. Makes me want to go back and watch it again.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I have a Star Wars weekend coming soon.

      Delete
  2. That is pretty neat that the building was used in Star Wars. I love the buildings and waterway created for the world expo. The Cathedral looks amazing to see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, to be young and able to do this much travelling at one time. Great memories though and so glad I am reliving it.

      Delete
  3. The plazas are amazing, I remember them well, also the fantastic cathedral. I just love that poster!

    Welcome to Keith's Ramblings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I wish I’d walked the Camino de Santiago when I was young and fitter......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I certainly couldn't do a trip at this pace today. I'm exhausted just writing about it. And I was in shape back then, but my travel companion was overweight. Yet she never complained.

      Delete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.