Monday, May 14, 2018

May 14, 1969 Madrid, Spain

We arrive in Madrid at 8:35 a.m.  It was a long night on the train with virtually no sleep.  We check into the Hostal La Macarena at Calle Cava de San Miguel 8.  And, yep, it's still in business.

First stop is the American Express office to pick up our mail.  Oh, the days of no cell phones, email, texting....  You may remember I mentioned that my mother was upset with my trip.  I get a letter from her that begins not with 'How are you doing', 'What have you seen?', but instead "Your dumb stupid sister went and got herself engaged".  Well, at least I am not the only one in the doghouse, but my poor father has to deal with this woman.

After reading the mail, we head to the Prado Museum.  Museums and churches were at the top of our list of sights to see.
Museo del Prado 2016 (25185969599)
[CC BY-SA 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Madrid-1758045
I still have memories of my sixth grade teacher telling us all about El Greco, Velazquez, and Goya, so this is a real treat.

I do not know how many of you are fans of Michael Connelly's Hieronymus Bosch series of books, but here is the famous painting by Bosch, the artist.  I am not sure if we saw it there or not.
El jardín de las Delicias, de El Bosco
The Garden of Earthly Delights

It has been a long two days and we are off to the hotel to sleep.

Expenses for yesterday on the train and today total $7.94.

And BTW, my dumb, stupid sister and that guy are still married.

5 comments:

  1. So glad to hear your sister and brother-in-law are still married :) I'm assuming you must have set up places along the way for mail to be sent to you so you knew where to check for it along the way? Traveling for keeping in touch is a lot easier these days indeed.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We left our itinerary with our families along with addresses for America Express offices where we would pick up our mail. Which meant we pretty much needed to stick to our schedule.

      Delete
  2. I must admit that I cut myself off from everyday life when travelling and contact with home is on an emergency only basis! I've not yet been to Madrid. One day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emergency. Yes, I've had those. I'm in Australia and get a phone message that my son has avoided hitting a dog and tore up the front end of his car instead. Or aboard a cruise ship when my staff sends me an email to say that the tax bills have been misprinted. How did we ever live without instant alerts?
      I enjoyed Madrid, but have never thought about going back.

      Delete
  3. Oh how I would love to see this painting by Bosch who, I think, must have been schizophrenic. Hahahaa. You had a long day and I bet you crashed early. Love museums and cathedrals as well as churches and just the facades of buildings.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and will try to reply on this blog and visit your blog when available.